Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Superstition Backpack Hunt

So i’ve been backpacking in the Supes before and love it back there. Figured I would try a backpack hunt in there this year and got drawn for the first Nov hunt. From my trips back in there it looks like there is good habitat up near the ranch but more of a stand hunt where as the trip in looks like some good glassing opportunities. I’m looking for some general advice for first time hunting that unit. I plan on making camp closer to the ranch due to water availability but those plans can change if I find drinking water away from the ranch  

I have hiked from north and south in the past and am planning on coming in from the north since i’ll be packing more weight than usual and the climb from the south is a ball buster.

For guys that glass north of the ranch do you have and consistent drinking water sources you could share with me in a PM? Or do you camp near the ranch for water?

Any advice is much appreciated. I’d like to pack in as little water as possible and keep my base weight below 30 lbs.  My non-hunting base weight is around 17 lbs.  Optics and rifle are heavy additions 

If it was me personally, I would not pack in to the ranch during a hunt. It is a cool spot but there are a lot of other people that do the same thing. It sucks to pack in 7 or so miles only to deal with other hunters. 

• Like 1

I believe most of the area burned down around the old ranch/homestead, but they were able to save the ranch. I haven't been in there since it burned, but it used to be very very thick around the ranch so glassing was very difficult, but that might be all different now. Which trailhead and trail are you planning on going in on?

55 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

I believe most of the area burned down around the old ranch/homestead, but they were able to save the ranch. I haven't been in there since it burned, but it used to be very very thick around the ranch so glassing was very difficult, but that might be all different now. Which trailhead and trail are you planning on going in on?

how about the woodbury trailhead and hike to angel basin, i was there a few years ago and we were alone but with the fire don't know and water situation.

• Like 1

The last time I was in the area, couldn't get a truck to Reavis trailhead because of the road closure, but I think you can get a quad or maybe sxs to it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

The last time I was in the area, couldn't get a truck to Reavis trailhead because of the road closure, but I think you can get a quad or maybe sxs to it. 

Good to know.

15 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

Since the road from 88 to Reavis trailhead has been closed last couple years, probably in pitiful shape. If it's open, lemme know.

3 hours ago, AZ Free Man said:

Thanks for the heads up. I called Tonto NF and they confirmed only way in is from the south via Rogers Trough. I better start training now lol.  Been there done that. 

9 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

Thanks for the heads up. I called Tonto NF and they confirmed only way in is from the south via Rogers Trough. I better start training now lol.  Been there done that. 

Pack some water in and cache it as training 😁 then you won’t be so tied to the ranch or that nasty trail lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

There's also the AZ Trail from the NE

• Like 1