Dadof3

2 kids hunting 35a deer/javelina help!

Busy working dad whose kids finally drew a deer tag. The boys have worked hard at their summer jobs and bought their own rifles and paid for their tags. As a father I am so excited to make life long meteorites and hopefully instill a lifelong passion for the outdoors and wildlife conservation. We plan to hunt the last 5 days of season and since we are out of state do not have time to scout. We want to focus on Coues but if a nice mulie came along we would capitalize for sure!  We also plan to pick up a javelina tag just in case. If you have hunted unit 35a or know this unit we would really appreciate any advice that would help shorten the learning curve and increase our odds for success.  Any other must haves, watch outs, or advice would mean the world to us! 

62F63FEF-561F-4F3C-99A8-5783FBEEA32F.jpeg

• Like 2

The two boys and their dad need to read the regs a little closer.  They either got a coues tag or a mulie tag but not whatever comes along first.  Tell me you have read the reg and understand them, plus a little info as to what rifle, ammo, camping plans, etc and I'll give you some info on 35a in a PM.

I have done my level best to understand them. We drew a youth tag and the way it was explained to me was we could shoot either. We certainly will have this clarified before season. Our intention was to focus on Coues anyway. None of us have even seen one much less hunted one. Thanks for your time. So much to learn. 

• Like 1

Dadof3 You are correct that if it is the youth tag then it is good for any antlered deer, coues or Mulie. And yes you can pick up corresponding population management pig tags for that hunt. Congrats on the tags. I’ve never set foot in 35a so can’t help you much but I’ve heard great things about it. If it’s anything like the nextdoor units that I have hunted there will be plenty of deer and opportunities. Good luck 

27 minutes ago, JFP said:

The two boys and their dad need to read the regs a little closer.  They either got a coues tag or a mulie tag but not whatever comes along first.  Tell me you have read the reg and understand them, plus a little info as to what rifle, ammo, camping plans, etc and I'll give you some info on 35a in a PM.

If they have a youth hunt in 35A hunt #1169 they can hunt any antlered deer.

• Like 1

Yes, the replies by HighschoolHunterr and 654321 are correct and Dadof3 should have provided that information in his original post.  

• Confused 1

Some additional info:   "Mule deer hunting in GMU 35A is limited to muzzleloader hunts for any antlered deer, and over-the-counter archery. Muzzleloader tags are offered as dual unit tags for GMUs 35A and 35B, because most of the mule deer habitat straddles the unit boundary. " So you may want to re-think shooting a mule deer.

6 hours ago, JFP said:

Yes, the replies by HighschoolHunterr and 654321 are correct and Dadof3 should have provided that information in his original post.  

Funny when I see a dad post about his kids drawing a tag and mentioning both coues and mule deer I assume he’s talking about a youth hunt with any antlered deer…but with my two kids and youth hints that’s probably just where my head is  

I’ll PM some info on 35a starting points. I’ve seen coues and mule deer in the same areas and also javelina. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, JFP said:

Some additional info:   "Mule deer hunting in GMU 35A is limited to muzzleloader hunts for any antlered deer, and over-the-counter archery. Muzzleloader tags are offered as dual unit tags for GMUs 35A and 35B, because most of the mule deer habitat straddles the unit boundary. " So you may want to re-think shooting a mule deer.

The JR hunt is listed under the general hunt which means any weapon type and says any antlered deer is legal so if they see a mule deer buck and it's in 35A and not on private property they are good to go.

• Like 2

It’s funny how hunters can be a circular firing squad. It was explained to me by the purchasing agent and the areas Bioligist this was an either specie tag. The negativity dissuades so many people from posting. I will be the first to admit I don’t know it all. I’m a lifetime student. Every state is so different with rules and regulations it can dizzying especially if you are applying in multiple states. Thankful for the positive input. Let’s remember our sport is under constant assault and we need to stick together regardless of how we hunt with rifles bows, crossbows, heck  even a rock for all I care. 

• Like 4

Man you can’t use a rock.  Geez read the freaking regs!!!!   Just kidding.  Good luck to you and boys.  

Dadof3, disregard all the info that JFP provided that does not pertain to your hunt.  

My advice, good glass and a tripod.  

Be prepared for a shot across a canyon, 500 yards or so.  

Good rangefinder.

Practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1

One thing I don’t think you can practice enough with kids is target acquisition…hard enough for them to find a bullseye in the scope. Much harder to find a deer or javelina. Practice shooting at rocks across canyons and other realistic situations. 

• Like 1

If your boys drew the youth hunt in 35A, it is any antlered deer, and note 39 applies to that hunt which says:

"Individuals with permits for these hunts
are eligible to purchase Restricted Non permit-
tags for the corresponding elk or
javelina population management seasons
listed in Commission Order 26."

Commission Order 26 says, "...Companion Tags can be purchased at any Department office."

Please disregard my previous comments.  I have hunted 35a since 1977, have taken a coues every year that I wanted to.  Some years I passed and last year and this year have not applied for a tag as age has finally caught up with me.