tailgunr

2021 36B Rifle Tag

New here, thanks for the add!  Wife and I drew 36B WT rifle tags, 11/26 - 12/5.  Never been that far south.  Wondering if there is one area over another we should start in?  We've got the Howa's and Vortex optics ready to go, just not sure where to start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Haha 1

1st post welcome to the site. Most aren't going to give up their honey holes to a first time poster. Basic info, just about everyone hunts off the Ruby Rd or 39. If you go into the unit from the Pena Blanca lake side, from Thumb Butte to Arrivaca Lake is a good place to glass. 

• Like 3

Totally didn't expect or want anyone to give up their honey holes.  Just a starting point is GREATLY appreciated.  Two replies and two Thumb Butte's, so at least I can start somewhere!  

Best recommendation is visit AZ G&F website "where to hunt" - then head down there and check out the areas, the unit has much different terrain from desert to grassy oak-  preference will be a factor- you can drive the roads in a day then settle in to an area. 

Thanks Redman!  Already printed it out, bought 36B maps, but as you know, G&F gives 4 separate mountain ranges to look at, so I thought I'd ask the experts for a better place to start 👍

Further south is oak and grassland - where the unit begin is typical desert by Armado- I prefer the later.... in all reality the areas G&F provide are great starting points- 

• Like 1

I know its still a ways out, but post your scouting trips and results of your hunt. We like hunting stories here. 

• Like 2

Hunter access road into the unit off I19 frontage rd is a popular area and great place to start. Road takes you right into coues country with many places to hike and glass... best of luck to you and your wife. 

You drew a great tag! 36b is one of the most accessible whitetail units in so az. Much of the unit holds whitetail. Take a couple weekends scouting. Burn the fuel, tear up the tires, pinstripe the truck and put the miles on your boots! It’s half the fun and when you score it’s so much more rewarding! If I were you, I would be looking for the spots that the G&F website isn’t talking about! Have fun!