Barnesboy

2021 19A Rifle Tag

I have a question to anyone that has had the 19a Lonesome Valley rifle hunt. Are you able to hunt the Granite Dells Ranch and the Deep Well Ranch? 

Screenshot_20210804-135510_Avenza Maps.jpg

When my wife had the archery tag, the Deep Wells was walk in only and free.  The Granite Dells was closed and did not allow access.  I had heard that they sometimes charge a trespass fee for a few tags some years .  

How long ago was her archery tag? Did you have to talk to anyone first before you hunted on Deep Wells?

I hunted the granite dells in 2007 for a fee

How much was it back then if you don't mind me asking? They give you a paper or anything to put in the window

I hunted 19a during archery in about 2015. Deep Wells was walk-on and free. I heard Granite Dells was fee but I don’t know how much. Perkins was a fee too. 

And no asking permission at the time on Deep Wells…just walked on. AZGFD game manager confirmed that for me. We even ran into the rancher and he didn’t question or mind us being there.

No paper in the window they only allowed a couple people on for each hunt. The gates were locked and the ranch manager gave you a key.  He knew exactly who should and shouldn’t be there.
 He would allow you in once or twice to scout I can’t remember exactly. It’s not that big of a ranch. I think it was $400 but sure it’s a lot more now if they even allow it.  
Game and Fish was watching from somewhere because as soon as i exited the gate with my buck, an Officer was waiting. 

Next time am up there scouting I'll have to go by Deep Wells and check it out. I've been sticking to what public they have open but haven't really seen much antelope wise. Thank you everyone for what info you've given me. I really appreciate it. My goal is 75" or what ever one makes me excited lol.

6 hours ago, Barnesboy said:

Next time am up there scouting I'll have to go by Deep Wells and check it out. I've been sticking to what public they have open but haven't really seen much antelope wise. Thank you everyone for what info you've given me. I really appreciate it. My goal is 75" or what ever one makes me excited lol.

With a rifle I’d hunt the Fain if you can still hunt that.   That’s hard stuff to hunt with a bow so a few might get by in there.  Don’t get your heart set on a buck just yet as the bow hunts and muzzy hunters will mop up most of the really good bucks so you’ll wanna keep a close eye on one toward end of muzzy season and kill him right away on opener.  

Unfortunately I haven't found a mature enough buck where I've been looking so don't have my heart set on any. I can't believe they have 2 archery hunts, then right after muzzy and right after rifle. You'd think they would give a little time between hunts. 

Not sure if the Fain Ranch is still available to rifle hunters. It’s worth a check though. The year I had the tag it was open but oddly very few antelope on the ranch that year. In years past I archery hunted it and there was quite a good population there. Good luck! 

I had the ML tag a couple of years ago and my son had the rifle tag last year.  19a has gone way down hill!  That being said, you can definately kill a 75 inch buck so keep your head up.  It is a tricky unit as a ton of private ground butts up again state trust and ranches that allow you to hunt it.  What has already been said is all true.. Shane Perkins does sell some trespass opportunity, but they sell out in the first couple of weeks after people draw.  Many of the better bucks get killed by archery hunters, and MOST of the 75 plus bucks get killed by the ML guys.  That being said, good bucks do come and go from some of those private ranches especially if the rut is going well.  Also, there is plenty of out of the way places that hold antelope that most people don't hunt!  Learn the unit, drive it ALL and find out where you are allowed to be and how to get there..  

Best of luck on your hunt.

edit my first post. The dells on the south of 89a are owned by Mike Fann. Not sure if he owns the north section. If he does contact him at Fann contracting. Deep well is good but the goats cross over to 19b in a heartbeat. Pm me for info if you have trouble finding goats in the open country. Lots of goats hiding in the bushes.

• Like 1

20210913_204452.thumb.jpg.4adc00cf18643c7e8f03364fdd381930.jpgFirst off thank you everyone for info you provided. It really helped alot. 

Just got to experience the best 4 days of hunting in my life. Only reason why is for one I drew a antelope tag this year with 4 bonus points and had a .01% chance of getting the tag. On top of that out of 20 tags they issued I got tag # 20 out of 20. Now this wasn't just any normal hunt for me, this was by far the greatest hunt ever for one reason and that is cause my oldest son who is 7 was with me step for step. When I say step for step I mean step for step. This young man hiked his butt off with daddy. We averaged 8 miles a day and he never complained, cried, or said he was tired. For 4 days we stalked antelope after antelope after antelope till we found one we both thought was what my son considered a "Big Papa" antelope. Needless to say he thought all were. But after I told him we're looking for one atleast taller then his ears he got it down pretty good. It was the 4th day of the hunt and my sons last day before he had to go back to school. So needless to say I was trying my hardest to find one to shoot so he could experience it with me for the first time but as the day went on and we just weren't seeing the bucks like the first 3 days I was getting a little worried. But as evening came and we started to slowly work our way home and hunt along the way we ended up finding one that I was happy with and my son approved. The stalk was on, as we got closer they disappeared behind a little hill which gave us the chance to close the distance quick. We had about 20 minutes of shooting light left so we were going quick. We closed the distance to 200 yards and without a word my son whispered, " my ears are covered daddy, shoot him now", without hesitation I squeezed the trigger and the gun went off. The buck went 20 yards and down he went. Now as of right now this is by far my number 1 hunt, that is until my youngest son goes with us on a hunt and I can experience the same with both of them. Now he isn't a giant but to my son he is a world record and I couldn't agree more. Thank you Ken Barnes Desirae Barnes Kendra Barnes for coming up and helping with the pack out and of course thank you Tenijha Bright for holding the fort down again like you always do while am gone on a hunt. Love you babe.

IMG_1842.jpg.745c9af83a3520c666d1628634806746.jpgIMG_1697.thumb.jpg.c2b6b9e3b14220a1c97e0050885ae76f.jpgIMG_1697.thumb.jpg.c2b6b9e3b14220a1c97e0050885ae76f.jpg20210914_084441.thumb.jpg.10f76d9155421f30fc19407a4fcbd278.jpg20210914_084454.thumb.jpg.11b3f0f53995536ef9d44211bfe56a79.jpg

20210913_204455.jpg

• Like 13
  • Great Buck! 1