Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Reloading for longrange neck size or full size?

22 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

My dad did a lot of competition shooting way back in the day off hand at steel rams and such I was probably 5 then so 30 plus years ago and it was always fire formed neck sized brass for comps.I'm thinking the brass has come along way since then .I hope to get his ruger 308 comp gun some day .I only got to shoot it 1 time about 20 yrs ago crazy light trigger in ounces

It sounds like he shot some High Power Silhouette and 30 years ago everyone pretty much had a 2 ounce trigger on their rig.

We were out sighting in my browning 30-06 and I just sat at the bench and he said give it a try the trigger is a little light .I started to come up on the scope and just brushed the trigger thinking 1 to 2 pounds and wham it went off .got a good laugh outa the old man .I did magage to put the next two in the same hole .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

We were out sighting in my browning 30-06 and I just sat at the bench and he said give it a try the trigger is a little light .I started to come up on the scope and just brushed the trigger thinking 1 to 2 pounds and wham it went off .got a good laugh outa the old man .I did magage to put the next two in the same hole .

When one is shooting offhand from a standing position at targets out to 500 meters having an extremely light trigger is a must.

32 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

When one is shooting offhand from a standing position at targets out to 500 meters having an extremely light trigger is a must.

There are two classes in High Power Rifle Silhouette, Standard and Hunter. The trigger pull in Hunter class is two pounds. Not considered extremely light by most.

Screenshot_20210904-184509~2.png

Screenshot_20210904-184523~2.png

I'm not sure what class he shot ill have to ask him in November when we are hunting pigs in California.I do remember him trying to get my older brother into 22 comps but my brother couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.its funny to me cause he lived with my dad and I with my mom .he was around guns all the time and still can't shoot .my mom was anti gun so I never was around them till I bought my first gun a ruger 95 9mm at 26 or 27 followed by a 870 still have the 870 and a lot more!!! I'm a firm believer in if you have guns your kids need to know how to handle them and always be safe. Thanks dad for the guns

After several posts and a few hundred bucks in lapua brass its gonna be a very careful full size and a aneal on the necks every other firing to keep the necks from holding a set and not giving a constant repeated neck tension

2 hours ago, andyyy said:

I know it's an old thread but I full size because of this guy's vid

I skip the first half stuff and just use the tape on the end of the case to set up my dies. Super simple.

• Like 1