Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

Crossbow?

I will let you know.  Due to an injury, I can no longer pull a string back.  I just get my crossbow permit approved by AZGFD.  For the first time in four years, I will be putting archery hunts back on the menu.  My new crossbow is a second-hand Scorpyd Nemesis.  They feel and shoot more like a rifle than a bow.

• Like 1

We picked up a Ravin R10 a couple of years back when my son broke his wrist and had to have surgery to have pins put in his hand and wrist a month before his elk hunt. He was unable to draw his bow leading up to and during his hunt, and was fortunately able to qualify for a temporary crossbow permit while he was healing up. We probably would not have spent that much if it were a temporary thing, but my wife had also just had a brain tumor removed a few months prior. She now has permanent balance/vertigo issues now due to irreparable auditory nerve damage. So she has a permanent CHAMP and crossbow permit. As far as crossbows go, there are a couple of premium brands, Ravin being one of them. I saw this year that their newest model shoots 500 FPS (the crossbow speeds listed for Ravin are accurate legit speeds using their arrows, I have tested ours though a chronograph and is is consistently at the advertised 400 FPS). We can consistently group our R10 in groups the size of a baseball at 100 yards. It isn't like shooting a bow, much more like a rifle. I personally enjoy shooting my bow much more than the crossbow. But if physical circumstances don't allow it, a crossbow would be a good option.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, rossislider said:

We picked up a Ravin R10 a couple of years back when my son broke his wrist and had to have surgery to have pins put in his hand and wrist a month before his elk hunt. He was unable to draw his bow leading up to and during his hunt, and was fortunately able to qualify for a temporary crossbow permit while he was healing up. We probably would not have spent that much if it were a temporary thing, but my wife had also just had a brain tumor removed a few months prior. She now has permanent balance/vertigo issues now due to irreparable auditory nerve damage. So she has a permanent CHAMP and crossbow permit. As far as crossbows go, there are a couple of premium brands, Ravin being one of them. I saw this year that their newest model shoots 500 FPS (the crossbow speeds listed for Ravin are accurate legit speeds using their arrows, I have tested ours though a chronograph and is is consistently at the advertised 400 FPS). We can consistently group our R10 in groups the size of a baseball at 100 yards. It isn't like shooting a bow, much more like a rifle. I personally enjoy shooting my bow much more than the crossbow. But if physical circumstances don't allow it, a crossbow would be a good option.

Rossislider, just FYI in case you hadn't seen this.  My pops has this same crossbow as you.  

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/Ravin-Crossbows-Reannounces-Recall-of-White-Arrow-Nocks-Due-to-Injury-Hazard-and-Additional-Incidents-Nearly-Two-Dozen-Serious-Injuries-Reported

I'll let you know as soon as I have further information. I can no longer pull a string back due to an injury. AZGFD recently accepted my crossbow licence. For the first time in four years, I'll be returning to archery hunting. My new crossbow is a Scorpyd Nemesis that I bought used. I'm buy this website. They have the feel and shooting characteristics of a rifle rather than a bow.

I heard there were 7000 crossbow permits approved last year for otc.    It was 1-2 orders of magnitude lower the previous year.  I’m all for equal opportunity but there should be a limit or draw on those.   Too much abuse in the system.  

an old guy with bad legs can’t use rifle during the bull hunt because he/she can’t stalk or chase ‘‘em like they used to.   He has to hunt rifle or muzzy.  

• Like 1