Jump to content
Shooter McGavin

JR elk hunt 2 weeks away, can’t wait!!!

Recommended Posts

Drove up to 6A/5BS yesterday to get some last minute intel for the Oct 8 jr elk my kids have. Saw 3 different herds and got within 44-133 yds of these different groups. Pretty excited, but also saw the mother load of herds congregating in the middle of Mormon Lake. Had to have been  300+, counted at least 37 bulls. Actually had a lady hunter tracking them with a cow decoy, she had hit one and was tracking it across the lake. We sat there and watched it hobble across until about 6:20 before we left. This morning the same group of hunters were still looking for the bull in the lake area, hopefully they were able to locate it.

Also found someone’s arrow, it was busted and no blood on it. I can only image, if this hunter was after the bull we saw in this area is cursing themselves for missing because it was a monster.

We got 3 jr tags, hopefully we can make it happen.

 

202FB9AB-5952-4E29-8554-E9A33F538B8A.jpeg

C567F8E5-DDF0-46E5-BACA-CE9E20320EAA.jpeg

684AABF5-34B0-47FE-920B-22015EA9A5C7.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I helped my buddy's granddaughter on her first hunt as she helped me on my muzzleloader hunt the year before .she thought it was a little smelly but she hung in there while we gutted my elk and figured out how we were going to get him outa there .the whole time saying next year its my turn .she shot a cow the next year and a deer in kibab .the following year we were up for the same hunt this time my buddy hunted with his granddaughter and I had my other buddy's nephew .Samantha shot a good cow opening morning at 248 lbs dressed and Trevor got a shot that afternoon and missed so Samantha got to shoot at his hat and missed first time she's ever missed .she did have a crush on Trevor tho.Trevor got a shot the next day and all he wanted to now was if it was bigger than Sam's and it was but I told him no.uncle Joe got there and wrecked my fun and asked why he had to shoot such a big old girl she went 286 and is still the camp record its an absolute blast to go hunt with kids they get so excited I had more fun watching them hunt than I've ever had on my own hunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We actually have 3 jr tags to fill, my two kiddos (son-has only killed 1 deer and daughter-has killed 5 deer and 1 cow)and my daughters best friend who hadn’t filled any tags yet. So the plan is daughters friend first, followed by my son then my daughter.

Like you said, being there and watching them is  an absolute blast and memory maker. Reminds me of when I was there age with my dad.

Rifles are dialed in out to 500yds, but hoping to get within 100 yds or less.

This was my daughters 80yd shot same unit 3 yrs ago.

 

CDCD6907-1E66-48C8-A238-16090D0F6106.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

We actually have 3 jr tags to fill, my two kiddos (son-has only killed 1 deer and daughter-has killed 5 deer and 1 cow)and my daughters best friend who hadn’t filled any tags yet. So the plan is daughters friend first, followed by my son then my daughter.

Like you said, being there and watching them is  an absolute blast and memory maker. Reminds me of when I was there age with my dad.

Rifles are dialed in out to 500yds, but hoping to get within 100 yds or less.

This was my daughters 80yd shot same unit 3 yrs ago.

 

CDCD6907-1E66-48C8-A238-16090D0F6106.jpeg

Do you have enough help ? Work is getting a little slow and the wife wants to go camping anyhow.I could talk to her and see if she is interested .I'm familiar with the unit and have a sxs to get around .no promises but if you need the help I will definitely ask her and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Do you have enough help ? Work is getting a little slow and the wife wants to go camping anyhow.I could talk to her and see if she is interested .I'm familiar with the unit and have a sxs to get around .no promises but if you need the help I will definitely ask her and see.

Currently yes, but I really appreciate the offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 1 for 5BS. We're super excited - last minute scouting this weekend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving in exactly one week for 22N for my daughter's hunt!  The real work starts this weekend with trying to find all our camping gear, getting the trailer ready and a quick stop at the range to check zero's!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22N for my son and I as well.   I think we are all set.  have my son (12 yo) dialed in at 300 yards.   Good luck and hope to see you out there.  I have a grey F150 with license AIKENS1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JohnnyHopkins said:

22N for my son and I as well.   I think we are all set.  have my son (12 yo) dialed in at 300 yards.   Good luck and hope to see you out there.  I have a grey F150 with license AIKENS1

I will be either in a Black Ram 2500, or a Green Nissan Xterra.  Awesome that he can reach out to 300 yards and is comfortable there!   For what it's worth, the last 5 Elk kills between myself and my direct family in 22N combine for about 115 yards total :)  The long shots are DEFINTELY out there, but they like to walk right up on you as well!  Just be ready! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to the original post, my daughter and I are getting ready for her hunt in 5A.  She's 17 and this is her last youth elk hunt.

We did a lot of looking around when and where we could this summer between rain storms.  

Last week's scouting trip was canceled due to truck problems.  We will probably camp in the vicinity of Blue Ridge res.  

Older chevy 3/4 and a new Kodiak Tent!   Swing by if in the area!    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, matthewr34 said:

I will be either in a Black Ram 2500, or a Green Nissan Xterra.  Awesome that he can reach out to 300 yards and is comfortable there!   For what it's worth, the last 5 Elk kills between myself and my direct family in 22N combine for about 115 yards total :)  The long shots are DEFINTELY out there, but they like to walk right up on you as well!  Just be ready! 

That's amazing.  We are camping just west of Payson golf course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×