Sign in to follow this  
liviustoica

36B Hunting Tips??

Hello experienced hunters. I'm about to embark on a small hunting trip to unit 36B, and any help would be much appreciated. I want to know where the deer are :ph34r: , who doesn't right? But maybe you have passed through and noticed lots of deer or activity that hints deer would be in the surrounding peaks, or whereabouts. Can you help me please? If so, send me a message. Thank you in advance.

I've been there.......I mean needing help with a unit.....plus hunted down there for the first time ever last season. Had an enjoyable time, great weather, big grasshoppers and plenty of trash to go around in the washes. Saw a buck the last day we were there while glassing in my pajamas.

Made one scouting trip way too early cause the water was all gone when season finally came around and I had put too many eggs in the same basket or around the same water hole. Live too far away to do the unit justice for you, we were hunting around Diablo I think, but I am sure there are better places in the unit. Well, I am not sure, but I am sure there are those who have honey holes that they might not be too willing to give up. and rightfully so.....

Go check it out first and then come back with more specific questions and I am sure you will get some help from these guys, they are a hard nut to crack but eventually will share ;) I know the gate is locked at the offramp where the BP was stationed last year......

Good luck to you down there.......go camp where the coueswhitetail.com members camp and they will help you out there I bet.............

Tip #1- :lol:

Tip #2- :lol: :lol:

Tip #3- :lol: :lol: :lol:

In cases like these, I'm really tempted to send a rookie off to some place I haven't hunted in years and ask him to report back on how it's doing these days.

Like the AG&F website hunting report for this unit says, there are deer all over the unit. Some areas have more than others, but the areas with fewer deer may have more big bucks because fewer deer keeps hunters away. As a general rule, high deer density leads to high hunter density which in turn leads to lopsided buck-to-doe ratios.

One place I used to go was the extreme southern end of the Summit Motorway which begins 3.8 miles west of the pavement end near Pena Blanca and is marked with a sign. The road goes all the way to the border. Used to be if you took the 4WD trail just before the border going west and went all the way to the roadless area boundary (Manzanita Mtn, Goodding Research, Sycamore Canyon)you'd have deer constantly running past your camp. The buck-doe ratio was about 20 to 1, but you'd see 30-40 deer a day. On occasion a real toad would step out, usually 500 yds away or more.

It's pretty country with lots of open hillsides and good ridges to glass from, and also a great place to practice your Spanish, especially stuff like "Hey! Come back here with that!" or "No problem, senor, I/m not seeing a thing. And it's none of my business what you have in that backpack!"

One of the reasons I quit going there is there were too many hunters on account of there being so many deer. That was up until about the mid-1990s. Today there probably aren't so many hunters, but that doesn't mean you'll be alone.

So why don't you run down and spend a couple days scouting and then tell us how many deer you saw?

If you make it back from that one, I've got some others.

OK, seriously, when's your hunt? Maybe I can do a little better for you than I have so far.

In cases like these, I'm really tempted to send a rookie off to some place I haven't hunted in years and ask him to report back on how it's doing these days.

Like the AG&F website hunting report for this unit says, there are deer all over the unit. Some areas have more than others, but the areas with fewer deer may have more big bucks because fewer deer keeps hunters away. As a general rule, high deer density leads to high hunter density which in turn leads to lopsided buck-to-doe ratios.

One place I used to go was the extreme southern end of the Summit Motorway which begins 3.8 miles west of the pavement end near Pena Blanca and is marked with a sign. The road goes all the way to the border. Used to be if you took the 4WD trail just before the border going west and went all the way to the roadless area boundary (Manzanita Mtn, Goodding Research, Sycamore Canyon)you'd have deer constantly running past your camp. The buck-doe ratio was about 20 to 1, but you'd see 30-40 deer a day. On occasion a real toad would step out, usually 500 yds away or more.

It's pretty country with lots of open hillsides and good ridges to glass from, and also a great place to practice your Spanish, especially stuff like "Hey! Come back here with that!" or "No problem, senor, I/m not seeing a thing. And it's none of my business what you have in that backpack!"

One of the reasons I quit going there is there were too many hunters on account of there being so many deer. That was up until about the mid-1990s. Today there probably aren't so many hunters, but that doesn't mean you'll be alone.

So why don't you run down and spend a couple days scouting and then tell us how many deer you saw?

If you make it back from that one, I've got some others.

OK, seriously, when's your hunt? Maybe I can do a little better for you than I have so far.

from <_< to :rolleyes: to finally :lol: . thank you for that. But seriously my hunt is in early November. Thanks for taking the time.

This might be worth checking

31* 22.986' N

111* 10.099' W

thanks for sending me to algeria red rabbit, I'll keep that hunt in mind for next year. In the hot summer, I plan on taking my first red rabbit i can find there ;)

Forget about asking people where the deer are.

First- Go buy yourself a good pair of binos, a good tripod, a fold up stool, and a good pack.

Second- Go spend a couple of days learning about the area. Use maps, google earth, the hunting reg's, etc. to learn where to start and what to try.

Third- Once you find an area you like, spend some time there. You should be on the hill 20 minutes before light, ready to glass. Glassing means sitting on your stool, looking through your binos, that are mounted to your tripod. If you are free handing it, you will rarely see anything. You want to be able to see deer out to a mile away.

Coues deer like to run the same trails, and keep the same habits. Once you pattern them, you have a decent chance of finding them in a similar location at some point during your hunt.

Fourth- Be ready to take a shot out to 350 yards (this means PRACTICE!)

Most of the guys who have success year after year have paid their dues. Even if they told you where they are finding deer, you still have to

be willing to try a lot of different things, and be ready for a variety of situations to have success.

So get out and do it dude!

Overview: Unit 36B offers excellent whitetail deer hunting opportunities. Decent densities of whitetail can be found in the Pajarito Mts., Atascosa Mts., Tumacacori Mts, and the San Luis Mountains. The Ruby Road offers access to many good canyons. These areas are primarily oak grassland and provide good cover for whitetail. Hunt the sunlit south facing slopes in the morning and try the oak covered north facing slopes as the day warms up. Ocotillo thickets are a good place to look for bucks.

Trophy bucks can be found throughout the Unit and are most susceptible during the rut, which occurs in late December. If you want to be successful, spend more time sitting and glassing than walking. Prescouting is a must if you are interested in trophies.

The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge is open to deer hunting. Be aware of the 'no hunt zones' within the refuge.

here's a good tip for ya. in any unit south of I-10, take at least one extra person to stay in your camp so's your stuff don't all get stolened. as far as where the deer are, good luck. but be vigilant with your stuff. Lark.