Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Rain drops

Rain drops  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What shape are rain drops when they fall from the sky?

• tear drop
    • round
    • oval
    • who cares - what does this have to do with hunting?

"Small raindrops (radius < 1 millimeter (mm)) are spherical; larger ones assume a shape more like that of a hamburger bun. When they get larger than a radius of about 4.5 mm they rapidly become distorted into a shape rather like a parachute with a tube of water around the base --- and then they break up into smaller drops."

"This remarkable evolution results from a tug-of-war between two forces: the surface tension of the water and the pressure of the air pushing up against the bottom of the drop as it falls. When the drop is small, surface tension wins and pulls the drop into a spherical shape. With increasing size, the fall velocity increases and the pressure on the bottom increases causing the raindrop to flatten and even develop a depression. Finally, when the radius exceeds about 4 mm or so, the depression grows almost explosively to form a bag with an annular ring of water and then it breaks up into smaller drops."

snapshot, you should change your handle to WIKIPEDIA or BRITANNICA!!!!! :lol: I honestly have no idea what shape raindrops are, I am just glad we have seen so many of them here in NM!!!! ag

ok - here you go. at first I thought I had water drops on my lens. after I checked I realized the flash caught the drops in mid-air and surprisingly, they were in focus. this is right before we really got dumped on. ROUND it is.

post-268-1222316234_thumb.jpg

I can see why you would stop and take a picture! That scene right there is breath taking! One of the best photos I have seen period!