Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Coues in Rut in the Rain?

I have hunted coues quite a bit. Both with a bow and rifle, so I am not a virgin. I was fortunate enough to recieve a R-100 tag on the San Carlos starting this Sat. the 1st. The bucks are already chasing the does according to my guide. The forecast is showing rain Sat. - Tuesday. I was wondering how the rain will play into things.

Thanks

Matt

The answer is simple. If you could only get some action for about two weeks a year would you still do "it" in the rain? My answer would be yes. Heck my answer would be the same even if it was a year long event.

I will tell you one other thing too. You will get wet if it rains.

Later,

recurveman

Hope you don't get washed away cause here in Camp Verde this morning the water is UNREAL! I'm glad I'm not sitting on a hill somewhere cause I'd be pissed and soaked.

Josh

It obviously depends on the magnitude of the rain. If it is raining hard, the deer are going to hunker down and wont be moving, even during the rut. If it is sprinkling, the bucks will be chasing does.

R-100 is a choice unit! You should have a great hunt. I love that area. And I agree with what Treestandman said...it depends on how hard it's raining.

Let us know how you do!

Amanda

Hey Josh, were those your tracks we saw coming out of Dugas road this morning? We gave it our best shot but decided we better get out while we could and we barely got out. I don't think the deer mind a little rain but when the wind was blowing like it was in Unit 21 this morning I think they brush up.

I was 20 miles from the truck when the rain came yesterday. A 20 mile quad ride (salt flat to Bald Hill) in the cold rain is not fun. I got out of there about 6:30 last night. Going back as soon as the wind dies.

BTW, Dugas road sucks when it's wet! I swear I have 300 lbs of mud in my wheel wells.

Thanks for the info. I think it will be fine. Just hope to find one over 100. I will post some pictures when I get back (if I have any).

Matt

It was raining down here the other day like crazy with about 30mph winds. But i went out anyway cause my time was getting shorter, so i headed out to the same area as usual and saw the two biggest bucks i've seen all season, both 4 by 4's and in the 80 to 90 class. I got a shot at one and hit a tree about 20 ft. in front of him. I saw several other deer that day as well. I think that the bucks know that none of there predators, including hunters, will move in that kind of weather. So i think the thought they would be safe. But, who knows.