I want to take my 8 year old Squirrel hunting, but other than walking through the woods looking for Squirrels, I am clueless how to go about it. We walked around the forest for several days last year, saw two or three, and never got close enough for a shot. Any of you use a locater call? Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Mark

I want to take my 8 year old Squirrel hunting, but other than walking through the woods looking for Squirrels, I am clueless how to go about it. We walked around the forest for several days last year, saw two or three, and never got close enough for a shot. Any of you use a locater call? Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Mark

The biggest key I have found is to pretend you are not squirrel hunting. Those little rats with tails are everywhere when you aren't hunting them. Truth be told one of the best ways I know is to slowly walk old logging roads right at first light. I know some good areas in 6a where your boy could get some lead in the air. I don't know where you are planning to go but send me a message if you'd like. That's right I'm giving up squirrel honey holes!

Joe

I love to squirrel hunt and am planning to go out in a couple weeks on the San Carlos. I look for ponderosa/gambel oak areas and just walk slowly in the morning and evening looking for squirrels. Try hunting them with a bow, it's pretty hysterical and challenging. Or use a .22 or shotgun for more success.

I think AGFD has a squirrel hunting camp where they take people out squirrel hunting?? or maybe I am remembering wrong? But anyway, check with AGFD for more tips and a possible trip with those more experienced with squirrel hunting.

Amanda

Hey Mark,

Your Coues spot is a good place to hunt them. I come from a long line of squirrel hunters and eaters LOL! The way we hunt is find fresh sign(Pine cones chewed up at the base of the trees) and just sit next to a tree wait. They just can not stand to sit to long they will start to move within a few min. If it is to windy just enjoy your time in the woods because chances are you are not going to see much to shoot at. And we never use shotguns. 22's only Sniper Style (To The Head) one shot one kill.

Have a great time you and your son will love it!

I like to move real slow and watch and listen.. Key there is listen... If you are in a squirrels area, he will tell you. All you gotta do is find out where he is by looking for his tail to move every time he screams at ya.

I grew up in the midwest and squirrel hunting was a passion.

the best way I found was to find a place where they have been feeding by looking for the acorn shells on the ground and then just sit down and listen. You can usually hear them dropping the acorns or parts of the shells as they eat. You can also hear them jump from branch to branch.

cruise along the rim country roads and as you find secondary roads stop and sit for a few minutes and as things settle down, then walk a bit. Always worked when I was younger. Got exercise and had a blast when we found them, chasin them up trees then from branch to branch and even tree to tree with the 22lr. You may get more with a scattergun but you get more fun with the 22.

Hey Mark,

Your Coues spot is a good place to hunt them. I come from a long line of squirrel hunters and eaters LOL! The way we hunt is find fresh sign(Pine cones chewed up at the base of the trees) and just sit next to a tree wait. They just can not stand to sit to long they will start to move within a few min. If it is to windy just enjoy your time in the woods because chances are you are not going to see much to shoot at. And we never use shotguns. 22's only Sniper Style (To The Head) one shot one kill.

Have a great time you and your son will love it!

+1 That is how we always hunted them as well.... however, with the lil' guy you might consider a 4/10 shotgun. ;) Good luck. Squirrel hunting is a great leason in eating what you shoot.... Pretty good table fair and the kids get a sense of putting food on the table for the familly! ;)

Road hunt 'em with a dog. When you spot one tell your dog to "get the squirrel". Squirrel will be treed in a jiffy. Then use your binos to get a real good fix on 'em in the tree. One 22 bullet in the head. If you can't head-shoot 'em, you stink.

Then skin the critter immediately! And get 'em on ice before you continue on or you'll be sorry later when you have a limit of squirrels to clean and they're stiff and all jumpin with flees.

Mike

I like the rembrant style but the dog is a buddy. Thats the most fun for me, is trying to run and tree the squirell, then when its time for a shot you have to calm down. In all honesty, this can be some of the most fun hunting. i laugh so hard when we do it like this. It is hilarious to watch grown men running down a squirell.

The Arizona trail just south of pinegrove campground on the lake mary road is excellent squirrel habitat and they were everywhere. Unbelievable, I think I saw 40 squirrels. They would see me and tree themselves...

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_30.html

Best of luck! It's a hoot for sure!

AzP&Y

post-898-1224128171_thumb.jpg

post-898-1224128200_thumb.jpg

post-898-1224128221_thumb.jpg

I grew up on hunting squirrels in Ohio with my grampa and Dad. Gramps has passed and Dad of 79 years just cooked me some squirrells tonight for super and they were delicous. I think the funnest part is trying to get them to tree. A good dog is the key to a healthy aged back. Everyones comments are good and good luck on your squirrel hunt. :)

TJ