willhunt4coues

My 2008 Elk

Well the Elk hunt had finally began and ended for me on the first Saturday (9-13-08).  The great thing was we had two tags (my dad & me).    1st morning was all too quiet in the great outdoors.  We had drove around trying to find all the great sounds we had heard on Thursday.  We ended up back at camp pretty early.  Waiting to find out when Andrew (Cubsfan) and Steve were coming up to help.  We had decided to head out about 2:30 that afternoon and sit at a spring.  At about 5:00 we herd the growl chuckle of an Elk.  He was a few hundred yards away.  As the growl got closer it grew darker.  We then decided to head on back to camp and try again the next day.  Cubsfan and Steve were already coming down the road to find us so we met up and had dinner.  2nd day was a riot.  We woke at 4:45 and were off in about 15 minutes.  We turned off the road to head back into the spring and low and behold Elk to our right at 60 yards.  I jumped out and nothing of interest in the bunch (no bulls).  So when we got to our spot we sat and waited about 10 minutes a heard the growl.  We knew he was on the same ridge as we were on so cubsfan, Steve, and I headed to our destination.  My dad decided to stay put while we stalked.  As soon as we got around the corner Steve quietly sayed spike (I didn't hear him) again he softly said spike (I am deaf) then finally he said spike loudly I looked up and away he went hiding in some thicket.  I said to Cubsfan cow call...here he came but 60 yards away.  He stoped and I waited for about 15 seconds and decided what the heck my first with a bow why not the arrow flew twards him at what seamed 2 minutes a foot and miss.  My heart sank.    While we were looking for the arrow we heard the growl at only yards away.  So of course we got set up.  I looked at Andrew and he is pointing in front of me saying there he is.  But I couldn't see anything in the thicket pines (jack pines).  Finally he (4x5, 5x5 I don't care he was a bull) appeared raking a tree (rubbing).  I bugled, he bugled.  Wind in my favor it was perfect.  He then walked to my left and I stayed with him.  We walked and bugled at each other for 100 yards.  He wouldn't come in to the calls so I just stayed with him.  He then started raking another tree ( poor trees ) I knew this was me opportunity so I creeped up keeping two tree in his line of site.  I got to within 50 yards and prayed "please help me get him".  The next step he peeked around the corner....oh no there goes my heart........then he started raking the tree again.  I said to myself "alright this is me chance he is making a bunch of noise and preoccupied."  I then snuck into about 30 to 35 yards and let one rip.  I was stuned he just looked around like I missed or something.  In total blankness I just watched not even nocking another arrow or calling.  He turned and I saw the arrow.  The nerves took over from there.  He gradually walked away to about 20 yards and started swaying.  "Alright he's going down,"  nope, he then started to walk into the jack pines.  I cow called and bugled and he kept on going.  I ran over and told Andrew and Steve I got him (they almost knocked me down with the hugs :lol:  :lol: .)  My dad then showed up and we then waited for about 45 minutes.  Off we go to find Rake.  We followed a great trail and then it happened we looked up and there he goes trotting away.  OH NO.  So we decited to wait about 1 hour and 45 minutes and take off after him.  From where we saw him get up he had only went 50 yards and went down.    I have had dreams of always getting a 6x6 and there he was.  My emotions ran high.  Man what a great feeling my dreams came true.   

me 6x6 bull

post-2094-1222482045.jpg 

Here is my dad and I.

post-2094-1222482060_thumb.jpg

My good bud Andrew

post-2094-1222482070_thumb.jpg

And the whole clan.

post-2094-1222482080_thumb.jpg

We still hunted the rest of the season for my dad with some close calls.  But he was more happy with my success.

this was my first archery elk. I have been drawn 4 times in 19 years with my first being a spike, 2nd a 5x4, and 3rd 5x5 all rifle.

Thanks to Dad, Andrew, and Steve for making this happen.

Big thanks to Jeremyb (meat man) for a great cut. Contact Jeremyb for some fine meat processing.

Oh ya Cubsfan watch out for those corn cobs :lol: :lol: .

We all had one great time.

Clay, you made it sound easy! Remember, I was there too :P Congrats on a GREAT bull! I had such a great time up there with all of you. It was a hunt I will NEVER forget. You said it well, "Fun time with family and friends!" It was awesome. Congrats again. Good thing I wasnt drinking a beer when I read CORNCOBS! I would have spit it all over my computer :lol:

Congrats Clay!

Great archery bull and a great story.

Love the vanes!

You need to tell Andrew Friends don't let Friends shoot Bowtechs.LOL! :P

Just kidding it looks like it did a heck of a job. What broadhead did you use it looks like you hammered him good?

Congrats Clay!

Great archery bull and a great story.

Love the vanes!

You need to tell Andrew Friends don't let Friends shoot Bowtechs.LOL! :P

Just kidding it looks like it did a heck of a job. What broadhead did you use it looks like you hammered him good?

Bowtech all the way :o muzzy Andrew turned me on to them. But they sure do crumble under pressure. <_< Still they worked. It was that or walmart eastmans

I always try to get him to ditch that Bowtech!! He wont listen to me about that, but maybe after the Muzzy did the job he will start. And it didnt "crumble under pressure". One blade bent in the exit side rib! It did its job!

I always try to get him to ditch that Bowtech!! He wont listen to me about that, but maybe after the Muzzy did the job he will start. And it didnt "crumble under pressure". One blade bent in the exit side rib! It did its job!

I will never ditch the Bowtech because, "I REFUSE TO FOLLOW". You should get one and try to target practice on the corn cob :lol: :lol: . You'll hit it every time. Did I just say hit it :lol: :lol: . Hit it Andrew hit it. :lol: :lol:

Thank you Amanda. Sorry you didn't eather. There is always next year. My dad and I got to spend alot of good time with each other and we learned alot. I will never forget it.

OK!!! Whats up with the Corn Cobs?? Or do we want to know! I could use some good ammo to use on Andrew at our shoots.

I'm sure Robert will be happy to sell you a Hoyt. You should see how those staggered Blazers shoot out of one.

Wait Robert shoots Bowtech now!! But he still hunts with a Hoyt.

I will stop now back to the Thread Great bull Congrats Again.

Man, that sounded like a great time and congratulations on your bull. Having good friends and your Dad on the hunt just couldn't have gotten any better unless your Dad could have scored but that is hunting. I'm sure he felt as successful as you knowing you scored. Thanks for sharing Clay. :)

TJ