azpackhorse

ScoutGuard rocks!

Mike,

I am fairly certain that you can buy a security box for your ScoutGuard, I like to build my own boxes out of stainless steel and weld them together. Casey says it's because I'm a cheap-butt but I just think it's fun to do.

Here is the one I built for my ScoutGuard

securitybox003.jpg

securitybox002.jpg

securitybox001.jpg

I just paint them with Krylon camo paint and chain them to a tree with big locks.

Here are a couple pics from a scoutguard cam. These cameras are really nice. So light and easy to pack in anywhere. I have this one on a flooded mine addit that lots of animals use. I haven't been using a lockbox of any type. I had it resting on a ledge, but it's not the best because I can't angle it low enough to catch the javelina well and I think I could easily miss a lion.

I have some video clips too that I need to make the files smaller to post. The battery life on this camera has been amazing. I have had it for a month with the cheapest batteries from the dollar store and it ran great. I think the batteries are finally almost done after shooting a couple thousand photos and probably at least a 100 video clips.

post-1-1225757012_thumb.jpg

post-1-1225757033_thumb.jpg

Hate to say it, but most scouting camera thieves take a saw with them. No design I've seen will prevent that. The best defense is to put it where they won't go.......lots of leg work but worth it. I haven't used a chain in two years-just strap it to a tree. I say a little prayer every time I go to get it, but it's worked so far. It's a good way to get in shape for season. Just a thought.

I agree with ultrahunter. It's far better to work on putting in somewhere no one will see them. That's one of the advantages of these "micro game cams". They are small enough to hide well.

For those that like the security boxes....I just added the security box to the CW store along with the python cable lock and some padlocks. So you can now buy your camera and security box from CouesWhitetail.com.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/trail_cameras.htm

Amanda

Awsome Amanda! I love the small design! And 5MP is much better than the cuddies on the market right now! How is the trigger speed?

Thanks for the info HCO. And for those that don't know HCO is the official supplier of Scoutguard cams in the US, so they have lots of useful info on their site about the cams.

Amanda

I showed my wife the video you posted Amanda and she was very impressed. I see a Scoutguard 550 and security box in my future. :D Probably after Christmas.

Time to retire the antique Moultrie 35mm.

--Bill

I showed my wife the video you posted Amanda and she was very impressed. I see a Scoutguard 550 and security box in my future. :D Probably after Christmas.

Time to retire the antique Moultrie 35mm.

--Bill

Seems like she should get one for you for Christmas, not after! :lol:

Hey Guys,

There has been a change in status in my selling Scoutguard cameras. HCO is the official distributor of scoutguard cameras and they don't want me to sell another type of camera called the DLC Covert I or II camera, which I just added to the store. I think the Covert II has some advantages that you guys will like, so I am going to continue selling it. So HCO Scoutguard has asked me to stop selling their cams. The DLC Covert cams are made by the same company that makes Scoutguard, but they have a different name on them since the Scoutguard name was claimed by HCO. The Covert name is owned by DLC. The manufacturer officially endorses both cameras. All the cameras carry a full 1 year warranty. You can check out the Covert 1 and II on the trail camera page. The Covert II has some nice improvements over the original scoutguard camera including: 2 extra LEDs, a wider field of view, a threaded hole on the bottom to mount a tripod, easier access to batteries and the plug in for the remote. It also comes with a 2GB card and has the camo pattern standard (not $10 extra like on the scoutguard).

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/trail_cameras.htm

The Covert II will have a security box coming out soon (hopefully this week). I am getting one this week also to test out and will post some samples for you when I get a chance. Seems like a great little camera from what I can tell.

Amanda

Thanks for the update Amanda, I'll be in the market as soon as we get the kids Christmas taken care of.

--Bill