Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

My 2008 elk hunt

Well, I had high hopes for the hunt this year and it didn't exactly work out as planned. I camped and hunted in the same area where I had a tag 3 years ago and this year, the rut was a world of difference. They barely bugled in the morning and didn't do much for the rest of the day and night. I kept thinking the rut would pick, but it didn't change too much. There were a couple days and evenings when I thought things were really changing, but then it would get quiet again. Eventually I moved to another area and had much better luck, but still didn't kill anything.

Anyway....I have a ton of people to thank for their help with this hunt. And that includes people who helped me with equipment prior to the hunt like Kathy Greene of PSE (who helped me get my bow in order and got me new arrows and also loaned me her bow as a spare just in case!), and Doug at Cameraland and the lady from the Verizon store who helped me get a new phone just days before the hunt. The lady from Verizon was very familiar with this site and she even transferred an elk bugle onto my new phone for me for luck!

Duwane Adams and Josh Epperson helped out with some info on some good spots in the unit. It's always nice when you have people of that caliber sharing info with you! I should have gone to their spots earlier in the hunt!

I also had several people from this site who gave up their free time to come help on my hunt.....Hector (Chef), Doug (Red Rabbit), Stan (Stanley), and Jed (Skeeter) all came up and provided some great help and company. I really appreciated them coming out.

here are some pics from camp of Stan playing guitar and Hector, being the CW addict that he is, checking the site at camp.

(Personally, I refused to look at the site the entire two weeks I was gone! It's my only chance to get away from you dingbats! :D )

post-1-1222970089_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222970099_thumb.jpg

There were basically three big bulls I was after. One was behind camp, one was a couple miles further away, and another was in an entirely different area. My plan had been to hunt for a big one as long as I could, but eventually take something. I failed on both counts.. :(

Some of my close encounters included sneaking up within 40 yards on a big bull in his bedding area (40 yards was my max shooting distance), but it was so thick I couldn't see him! He was bugling right in front of me, but a big juniper blocked me from him. One of his cows walked by me at 25 yards, and I hoped he would follow, but he didn't. So I kept creeping up toward him, trying to get a view of him for a shot. Eventually, my felt stalker hit a small twig as I tried to step over a little branch. Ugh....they heard it and spooked quietly away. That was probably my best opportunity and it happened in one of the first few days of the hunt.

Several other times I was in on bulls bugling in their bedding area and planning to very slowly move in, when other hunters spooked the elk. bummer.....

Another time Jed and I were moving in on a big bull in the dark that was screaming his head off, but then some hunters were set up directly upwind of the bull and he and his cows left. We then made a loop to avoid the hunters and pursued that bull for a mile or two and I managed to blow it by getting spotted by some satellite bulls.

Hector and I had another morning where a couple bulls were bugling great within say 75 yards. I closed the distance while Hector kept calling to them. I was trying to stay downwind, but the cows circled faster than I could and they headed out. I followed for another mile or so and finally caught up to them. But then it seemed another hunter spooked them in their bedding area.

Hector bugling in an oak tree.

post-1-1222972077_thumb.jpg

Doug was nice enough to allow me to take showers, fill water jugs, and do laundry at his place. That was a great help!

On the way from camp to his place, I passed several meadows and these two bulls were out feeding in the afternoon. Nothing exciting, but a pretty picture anyway. There were so many wildflowers everywhere, it was really nice. I took lots of flower pics, but I won't make you look at all those!

post-1-1222970792_thumb.jpg

I had another friend who had never been hunting before who wanted to go with me. So the last few days were spent with her. We had great fun and she carried the cow decoy for me and we actually were able to use it as cover to walk up to a couple satellite bulls in the open while trying to get in on a HUGE bull. Man, I really wanted that bull! He was a giant. I really don't know what he would score, but 380+ at least. Wish I had gotten him. His bugle was AMAZING! Lots and lots of growling to it. Most impressive bugle I heard the whole hunt and when I got a view of him, the bugle sure matched the size of that beast. But he only bugled an hour or so and then we followed as best we could and eventually hours later found some cows and a bull, but never saw them good enough to confirm it was the big boy.

here is my friend in full camo and with the decoy! I couldn't help but bust out laughing everytime I turned around and saw her. I bet never in her life did she suspect she would end up in full camo carrying an elk decoy through the woods! I suppose it's not a good idea to have a hysterical laughing fit while within 100 yards of elk you are stalking, hehehehe, but it was impossible for us to stop laughing. Didn't seem to bother the elk though since we were still able to move in on them.

post-1-1222971072.jpg

and here she is modeling a CW shirt that she wanted.

post-1-1222971173.jpg

and me and her

post-1-1222971200.jpg

Ginger and I had a couple very close encounters where I thought I would get a shot at a decent 6x6 (not one of the three big ones, but maybe a 330 bull). We had stalked the herd all morning and finally they slowed and we caught up. I tried raking a stick against a tree and bugling. The bull didn't seem to respond, but I couldn't see them from where I was. Anyway, I waited maybe 10 mins and then decided I just better get closer and try and get a visual on them. I motioned to Ginger to come on up. She headed my way when I heard a big bugle very near to my right. I froze behind a tiny tree, but Ginger kept coming. I finally motioned to her to stop, but she was in the wide open and holding the decoy on it's side. Anyway, she froze and the bull appeared about 60 yards away. He was headed right to where I had been raking, but he could see us and started wondering what we were. I had an arrow ready and was hoping he would keep coming, but he didn't. He turned softly and moved away, not very spooked, but moving quick enough that I thought he would keep going. Well, I crept after him and after awhile of not seeing him, I figured he was farther ahead. So I moved a little faster to a clump of blackjack pine. A very strong odor of elk hit me, so I froze and looked up to see a cow elk peering at me through the trees. I motioned for Ginger to stop and again she was in the open behind me, but this time had the decoy upright and her headnet down. The cow eventually led the rest of the herd off, but the bull apparently wondered if I wasn't that bull bothering his harem. So he actually started heading my way! Wow, what luck! He saw the decoy and looked at it hard and came a little closer. Maybe 50 yards now. Then he just decided it wasn't right and he moved off following the cows. UGH.....two almost shots in just a short time. We decided he wasn't all that spooked, but still figured it was best to come back in the evening to try and hunt him again. I had heard another bull not too far, so we headed that way. And boom another cow jumps up and I see a bull bedded in front of me, but it's the small raghorn that I had seen earlier. So I don't bother with them and they move off.

Just before this hunt, I had lots of equipment break down. My camera stopped working, my cell phone broke, and more. So thanks to Doug at Cameraland he got me a great camera at an excellent price and shipped it FAST. So I spent some time taking pics and messing with the camera on this hunt.

here are some cloud pics:

post-1-1222971880_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222971892_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222971904_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222971919.jpg

I enjoyed many beautiful sunsets:

post-1-1222971975_thumb.jpg

I had another evening where I went to sit a tank that was at least 1.5 miles down a closed road. I had sat the tank the evening before and just before dark got up and still hunted from there toward camp. I had what sounded like a giant bull scream at me from 50 yards or so. WOW, that was intense. I bugled and cow called and he screamed again. I nocked an arrow and tried to get a little closer, but he knew something was up and moved off quietly. So anyway, the next day I went to sit the tank again, and as I was walking down the old rocky road I started seeing lots of fresh tracks. But the tracks looked really small and like they were from dress shoes. And I saw a wheel track like from a mountain bike. So I wondered what the heck was going. Those tracks weren't there the day before so I figured someone would be down there sitting the tank. Well, when I got there, it turns out it was a couple families and their children who had decided to go fish that tank! Oh well, so much for quietly sitting in a blind for the afternoon. I couldn't believe these kids and a baby in a baby stroller had gotten all the way down here. I was impressed! These people were hardcore. Most of the hunters wouldn't even go down there. Anyway, they were catching fish and having a blast, so I moved on to another plan.

(see Doug, they are real!!)

post-1-1222972376.jpg

post-1-1222972392.jpg

Later in the evening I hear a bunch of hollering down by the tank like someone is lost. So I eventually quit hunting and headed their way to see if I could help. But they apparently all found each other and all was well. Now I could hear elk bugling up a storm, but way up toward camp and no way to reach them before dark.....At least Hector was up there to enjoy that.....

Anyway, the stories of elk and close encounters are practically endless. And then there are the interesting things that went on, like the day four DPS cruisers showed up at a camp looking for some lady who wanted to kill herself. Apparently the cell phone placed her in that location. Shortly there after a DPS helicopter spent a fair amount of time flying low over the area. Then the sheriffs showed up. But I don't think they ever found her.

I took lots of pics of elk rubs. here are a few.

post-1-1222972615.jpg

post-1-1222972630_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222972653.jpg

post-1-1222972672.jpg

post-1-1222972686.jpg

post-1-1222973049.jpg

This one was from a giant elk!! I think it was from the one I saw with the really long deep growls in his bugle. He busted several large branches off this juniper.

post-1-1222972894_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222972961_thumb.jpg

Generally I walked about 3-5 miles every morning and evening, so 6-10 miles a day. When I was close to elk and stalking I put on my felt stalkers to limit noise. They work great, but I wore a hole in one!

post-1-1222973182.jpg

post-1-1222973199.jpg

The day after the season I went out and video taped some elk. Even bumped into a nice antelope buck in there. What do you think he will score? The elk isn't one of the big ones I was after, but he was bugling pretty good that morning and had lots of cows with him. I had hoped to film the giant, but he seemed to be across the meadow calling. The video isn't real good because I didn't have it on a tripod and I used the doubler, so quality is pretty poor. He had so many cows, that I couldn't get closer. I had called him back out of the trees toward me but that was as close as he got.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/elk_hunt_08.wmv

Anyway, thanks so much to everyone who helped me out. It's awesome to have so much support! You guys sure made it a fun hunt.

post-1-1222973427_thumb.jpg

On my way home, I saw hundreds of elk in mormon lake in the middle of the day. I stopped to watch the bulls chasing each other like mad. Fun to watch. All those dots on the far shore are elk.

post-1-1222973619_thumb.jpg

Oh and even Rica came up and helped hunt. Well, she was hunting for lizards, but at least she was hunting!

post-1-1222973491_thumb.jpg

post-1-1222973511_thumb.jpg

Great story and pics Amanda! Sounds like you had a ton of experiences and gained a ton of memories, can't beat that! JIM>

Amanda,

Awesome pictures and a great team effort. I hunted that unit for 4 straight years {2002-2005}. I was 2/4 but it took me a lot of time to try and figure out the herd(s). The next time you draw that tag, I'm positive you'll be in the thick of the herd bull and dirt check him!

Boy some of those areas look real familiar ;)

Thanks for sharing your hunt experiences!

AzP&Y

Doug

Hey Amanda:

Thanks for posting the whole run-down. You spent the entire time up there, so I know that your words only expose a small part of the experience. All good!!!! I really appreciated the chance to spend some time with you (and Chef) in the field. Work & personal life is CRAZY for me right now, and I truly cherish any & all moments in the woods. Sincere thanks for letting me tag along for a couple of days! ;)

This post should be an example to all! I spent time with Amanda during the opening weekend, and it quickly became apparent that she was NOT just there to kill an elk. She was soaking-up each & every moment in the woods. This is a woman who truly LOVES being in the outdoors, and LOVES all the outdoors has to offer. Always optimistic and never any malice towards anyone!

Kudos to you Amanda!!!!!

S.

:)

Amanda, those binos dont look Swarovski green to me... You should know you can't kill an animal with any binos accept Swarovskis!

That picture of Hector on the site by the campfire is priceless!

Sounds like a good hunt, I am jealous!

Great story. ;) Maybe next year it will be better. Sounds like you still had a good time and thats all that counts (the elk is the reward).

Amanda,

In my mind all the elements of a great hunt and a great time are there. The harvest is only icing on the cake. I would love to be able to spend two weeks in the woods every September with or with out killing an elk. Great story and pics.

Thanks for sharing

Amanda,

In my mind all the elements of a great hunt and a great time are there. The harvest is only icing on the cake. I would love to be able to spend two weeks in the woods every September with or with out killing an elk. Great story and pics.

Thanks for sharing

Me too!! I try to make sure I get out there every september or Oct whether or not I have a tag! I hate to miss the elk bugling!

AZ Ranger, nice Leopold quote on your tagline!

Amanda

Amanda, those binos dont look Swarovski green to me... You should know you can't kill an animal with any binos accept Swarovskis!

That picture of Hector on the site by the campfire is priceless!

Sounds like a good hunt, I am jealous!

I posted a couple more hector pics for you Casey.

And those binos are Zeiss classic black! Didn't need the heavy artillery on this hunt....

Amanda

Amanda,

Awesome pictures and a great team effort. I hunted that unit for 4 straight years {2002-2005}. I was 2/4 but it took me a lot of time to try and figure out the herd(s). The next time you draw that tag, I'm positive you'll be in the thick of the herd bull and dirt check him!

Boy some of those areas look real familiar ;)

Thanks for sharing your hunt experiences!

AzP&Y

Doug

How did you manage to get a tag four years in a row! That's amazing. The sad part for me was that I really knew the area and how the elk used it. They bedded and fed in pretty much the same pattern as I knew from three years ago and yet I still didn't get one killed! I thought I would be ahead of the game, but it didn't seem to make much difference. Oh well, I learned even more areas. The nice thing about hunting is that you always learn something when you go out.

Amanda

Man that's a great write up to a great hunt with pictures to help to tell the story. Thanks so much for taking the time to put it all together for us. Sorry you didn't score on a bull but maybe you'll get lucky and draw again next year. It's awesome that you had such good people to help out and share in the memories.

Phil