Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Question about Berger Hybrids

Hybrids are way more consistent than the accubond LR. Never shot anything with the nosler because I always had a flier or two so I sold what was left in the box and stuck with the Berger hybrid. They work fantastic on game. 

• Like 2

I have used the 105 Hybrid out of a 6XC for the last few years with excellent results. 110 Match king also worked awesome. 

• Like 1

I have killed two bulls and total about a dozen or more coues with the 180 Hybrid from my 28 Nosler. I have yet to have anything less than stellar performance. Ranges varying from 280 yards on a 6x6 bull to 700 on a coues, and another 6x6 bull. 

• Like 1

This is my opinion only but you need to know the game you are shooting at and what caliber you are shooting to determine shot placement.  If i was to shoot a 25 caliber into the shoulder of a bull elk at 1000 yards I doubt I would get the penetration I would want, so I would most likely shoot bigger caliber or shoot the bull in the lungs. Which I think my 25 sst would be ok for an Elk at long range. Not ideal but ok.

With my 300 ultra with 210+ grains I would shoot for shoulder on elk that far, try to break a leg and push through to lungs,  but I would most likely shoot a Coues in the lungs at anything under 200 or risk losing a bunch of meat.  If you know and apply some of that info I believe that the Berger is an outstanding choice for most applications.  

It doesn't matter what bullet you use if you hit brisket or a pass through in the flanks, or guts you may lose an animal. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:44 AM, STOMP442 said:

I have used the 105 Hybrid out of a 6XC for the last few years with excellent results. 110 Match king also worked awesome. 

Matchkings are also good on game? i have been using gamekings forever and they work very well, didn't know about the matchkings.

Yes they work great. Here is an entrance and exit of a coues deer shoulder at 756 yards with the 6XC and 110 Sierra Match King.

20181221_104546.jpg

20181221_111227.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I love how accurate Bergers are but I wish they held together better.

Trird the regular Accubond or TTSX? 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Trird the regular Accubond or TTSX? 

Casey,

Just HSM with the VLD. It doesn't make any sense for me to break out my reloading stuff for a few hunts every couple of years to work up a load for my 7Mag. I just to load about 69 grains of RL22 behind a 120gr Barnes X bullet and that worked great but I never neede dto shoot anything past about 200 yards.

The HSM gives me sub MOA out to 400 yards. One of these days I' break out the Ohler 35P and my presses and all the powder and primers that have been stored away fo years and get after it. Last count I had 13K primers.