Sign in to follow this  
eldonkey

Looking for a decent Spotting Scope

I have looked at a couple, please feel free to share any opinions on any of these or other similar scopes that I may have missed. Primary goal is to bag a WT deer this year. Would like to keep it under $500, and preferrably under $300

Nikon Prostaff

Bushnell Elite

Bushnell Trophy

Red Head Epic

Let me know if you guys have used any of these and also about any Tripods out there that are reasonably priced.

Thanks!!!!

For tripods, look at the SLIK Sprting Pro EZ. I just returned from a trip and used my Swaro's on it for days on end, very stead tripod, fairly light, and a decent price, think it was @ $130.

post-1847-1223473834_thumb.jpg

I use a barska20-60-60. And only paid 100 for it. It works great i'm still able to spot deer a mile away.

I have used a Slik Compact XL for years and love it. Not sure they still make this exact model, but they should have something close to it. It's about 16" when closed and 43" tall when fully extended. Weight is about a 1 1/2 pounds... It fits right in a side pocket of my pack and it has a lot of "miles" on it! Good luck in your quest and hunt! D.D.

I spent $600 on my Nikon Prostaff 20-60X82 and I love it, it is light for its size and out at 3 points range a guy next to us had a swaro spotter and me and my buddy were not at all impressed. we could see paper target at 500 m way more clearly with the Nikon. The guy even admitted that even though the swaro binos were the best thing he has bought (no one will disagree) the spotter however was not.

Dessert Bull is selling a nice Nikon field scope for sale in the classified ads on this site. It seems to be in your price range.

If you just buy the Swaros you never have to worry about upgrading, buy the best the first time and youre done for ever. I use the 80 mm HD spotter nothing better. Velbon tripod

I bought the Cableas Alaskan Guide series spotter from a member. From 20-50x power, it is a very good spotter. It looses a little bit at 60x as far as image quality and brightness but for the amount I paid for it ($235 shipped) I am VERY pleased with it!

I have a bushnell elite 15-45x for sale, its about 4 years old, just bought a leica 20-60 the other day, so I guess I could part with my other one. I think I paid around $500 for it, would sell it for $250 if you're still in need of one.

Doug at Camera Land just advertized that he has the Vortex Sandpiper 15-45 x65 at clearance for a nice price, $199.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex....vortexsandpiper

It is listed on this comparison. Better images than the more expensive Vortex Skyline ED 80.

http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbi...peChart2008.pdf

I to have looked into getting a spotting scope and have looked at most mentioned here.

Anyone have and experience with the Vortex Nomad?

If I had the mony I know what I would get but I'm going to be getting a new truck soon and I'm not evengoing to mention the work spotting scope to my wife.