bowhunter-tw

Hunting ar triggers??

Looking for a good lightweight two stage ar trigger… seems to be a bit out of the norm for ar builds. This will be a coyote gun. What brand would you suggest? Looking at geissele, timney, trigger tech… any others? 

I put the Geissele SSA-E trigger in a 6.5 Grendel build a while back. Hunt with it often and really like it

36 minutes ago, mpriest said:

I put the Geissele SSA-E trigger in a 6.5 Grendel build a while back. Hunt with it often and really like it

I have a hard time imagine how the two stages feel together, 3-4lb sounds heavy for a single stage, I had a 3 lb timney single stage on the last gun and it felt super high to me. Do you really only notice the second stage on the ssa e ?

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I have a hard time imagine how the two stages feel together, 3-4lb sounds heavy for a single stage, I had a 3 lb timney single stage on the last gun and it felt super high to me. Do you really only notice the second stage on the ssa e ?

Absolutely. You can feel the take up and then its smooth as can be .I've got a g2 geissele in my ar10 and at 4lbs its a heavy 2 pound break .If your around Gilbert I could get them out and you could check the pull out for yourself before you commit to a trigger.

33 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Absolutely. You can feel the take up and then its smooth as can be .I've got a g2 geissele in my ar10 and at 4lbs its a heavy 2 pound break .If your around Gilbert I could get them out and you could check the pull out for yourself before you commit to a trigger.

I might actually take you up on that.

30 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

Larue MBT

I was looking at that one, how do they compare to others? 

Great offer from Crazymonkey. Since you are not happy with the Timney trigger, spend the extra money and get a great adjustable trigger that you can use the rest of your life. The non-adjustable triggers make lots of claims that may or may not be true. Geissele high speed national match trigger.

22 minutes ago, Azdiy said:

Great offer from Crazymonkey. Since you are not happy with the Timney trigger, spend the extra money and get a great adjustable trigger that you can use the rest of your life. The non-adjustable triggers make lots of claims that may or may not be true. Geissele high speed national match trigger.

I was wondering if the two stage timney would be decent, either the calvin elite (ugly trigger but adjustable, or the targa. I think I like two stage triggers over single.

I like the two stage triggers on AR'S also. I'm not familiar with those other triggers but it sounds like you would be happy with an adjustable two stage trigger. I think the ones that come with the trigger pins are also the best ones.

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I might actually take you up on that.

I was looking at that one, how do they compare to others? 

I think if you shot the larue and the geissele back to back you'd have a tough time saying one was better than the other.  I doubt you'd be disappointed in a larue MBT 2 stage. It's the nicest trigger at the price point and absolutely has a premium feel.

• Like 1

I've got a larue MBT on my coyote AR. It's a bit heavier than any of my hunting rifles (I think it's 4LB from Larue) but breaks as smooth as glass. Under or around 100$, hard to beat.  

I've fired a geissele on a competition rifle (the standing/prone/kneeling; I think highpower?) that was set for a hair trigger (not sure if he did different springs or whatever). It was also awesome, but probably too light for hunting. I think they're a lot more expensive as well.

I think you'll be happy with either. 👍

I have the rock river national match or whatever it's called in mine and I dont love it. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get the second stage. It's a light trigger (and I killed 7 deer with head shots in Texas last week with the rifle), but it feels like its just a long single stage. 

I ended up with the Larue MBT. Couldnt beat the price and everytime I called they had great customer service. Havent gotten to dry fire it, still need to put together the rest of the gun

6 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I ended up with the Larue MBT. Couldnt beat the price and everytime I called they had great customer service. Havent gotten to dry fire it, still need to put together the rest of the gun

Good choice, you'll love it. Just don't dry fire a bare lower 😝