PRDATR

Guide Recommendation

20 hours ago, AZtroutman said:

They charged the same last year when gas prices were half as much. I guess these other top outfitters doing it for $5500 are losing money. And yes people tend to lay out large amounts of money for necessary things in life like vehicles and houses. Not so much for late rifle elk hunts. Even less likely when you're hunting sub par units like you drew. If money is no issue then more power to you. For most people, getting a guide is a once or twice in a lifetime event so money is definitely a factor.

Anybody can find a decent bull in September.  If I were to pay a guide it would be for a late hunt when it's not as easy. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, Mykolaivka887 said:

You might try getting a hold of Rob Hardy (907-355-5291).  He's a one-man show and will guide you personally -- no big entourage, very personalized and he'll block out an entire hunt period (7-9 days) to hunt with you.  He lives right underneath the Rim and is out in the backcountry at least 320 days a year, scouting and guiding.  His prices are competitive and those prices are listed in his website.  Very straightforward and honest guy, and extremely organized. 

Have you hunted with him? He is anything but honest. Rob guided me on a hunt in Alaska and I found out he was talking sh!t about my dad and I after the hunt and made up all kinds of lies as to why we weren’t successful 

38 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Anybody can find a decent bull in September.  If I were to pay a guide it would be for a late hunt when it's not as easy. 

I have no doubt I can find bulls. I'll take two weeks off for the hunt and probably have some weekend help. But, I'll be solo for the most part and at 70 years old humping all that meat out of a canyon or wherever back to camp on foot one quarter at a time could take a couple of days.

I've never owned an ATV but even with one there is no guarantee it would be of much help so hiring a guide and having a few other people along on this hunt is where my head is at. Except for one deer in Sonora every big game animal I have killed was solo. A couple of Mule Deer, four Coues, six Javelina, a Black Bear, one Elk and a Caribou.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, backcountry_brad said:

Have you hunted with him? He is anything but honest. Rob guided me on a hunt in Alaska and I found out he was talking sh!t about my dad and I after the hunt and made up all kinds of lies as to why we weren’t successful 

Yes I have hunted with him multiple times.  Sorry to hear that you didn't get an animal when you hunted with him.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

People don’t pay for guides in September to find a decent bull, they pay to find a giant 

Most of them shoot decent bulls. Few shoot giants, but guides really do take great pics. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Most of them shoot decent bulls. Few shoot giants, but guides really do take great pics. 

Few giants are killed at all, period. And the guide pic thing is another story all together. Anyone taking kill pics with the fish eye lens should have their guides/hunting license revoked permanently 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Few giants are killed at all, period. And the guide pic thing is another story all together. Anyone taking kill pics with the fish eye lens should have their guides/hunting license revoked permanently 

Well I think most people can see past that. I think I' drive up to Payson in the morning. Usually takes about 50 minutes or so and see if there are any Trout left in the lakes there. Maybe catch a 12 incher and  post a closeup and call it a 18 incher.

• Like 2

Please don't use A3...

• Like 2

I went with A3 last year after calling many outfitters and it worked out great. Amazing people and a great value. (Less expensive then most the outfitters I called)  I ended up getting a dandy with them on my late hunt.

IMG_6245 (1).jpg

IMG_6323 (1).jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

Some do Scouting Packages also, something to think about…

A couple buddies and some good glassing will turn up something.It usually helps to feed them and offer them a drink at the fire afterwards.As for the sxs thing I have yet to find a spot I couldn't get my defender into or out .I bought it to hunt and am not worried about scratching it .Hunting is way more enjoyable with good friends in camp for me.