Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

last ditch effort Transport needed

I have a youth 20ga in Tucson that needs a ride to Phoenix either today or tomorrow.  A friend asked to borrow it for his son's turkey hunt that starts Friday, he had another shotgun set up but that fell through.  His son is on the smaller side and afraid of using a 12ga.   I forgot that my son had my Beretta al391 it in Tucson.  Im going down Thursday but its a day late.  

• Like 1

My son works till tomorrow morning,  he will drive mine up.  I just found out.  He said " for a youth hunter,  he would drive it to unit 1 if he had to."   Enough people spent tons of time and money helping us when he was 10.  His mom did a good job with him.  Thank you all for the offers. 

• Like 7

Thank you for the all the offers to help.  It shows that we as a community are willing to do, to help others, even when there isn't any personal benefit. 

The shotgun made it up here in time, I can't wait to see pictures and hear the tales of his hunt.  Sent both my youth guns up, gotta have a backup plan....

This story started out with a friend looking for 20ga turkey shells, then progressed to me locating, transporting and upgrading my youth shotguns. 

My friend came over 2 weeks ago and grabbed a couple of boxes of shells. He has a couple 20ga shotguns but they are full sized.  He had a youth model lined up, the owner thought it was a 20, but was mistaken.  I offered my youth shotguns (have an 870 Youth Magnum and a Beretta 391) Went to get the Beretta from a safe, realized it was in Tucson. 

The optic system I had on my 870 was less than desirable,  had an old weaver side saddle system on it that was modified to adjust for being a thinner receiver. I pulled the pins on the 870 probably 15 years ago and it took me a couple of days to locate them.  Got them in and mounted a Holosun on a Truglo universal rib mount.  Hopefully it works well for this hunt.

I ordered a Scalarworks Sync/04 and when it gets here I will replace the rib mount and have the reciever drilled and tapped for the rail.  I like them because it is the lowest method I have seen to mount a red dot optic.  Getting it ready for my 9yo son,  step grandson and younger family members.  I have to get the youth all hunting so they can take me out hunting as I get old and more broken.  

Again,  thanks for all the offers to help.

20220413_185545.thumb.jpg.194843675b0ce2e5c62194c8bcf220c1.jpg

20220411_194947.jpg

• Like 1

Just got word that my buddy's son smoked a nice strutting tom this morning!  The kid is now cursed to hunt turkey the rest of his life.  

• Like 8

I have Mossberg 500 20ga that I started hunting with when I was 10.  Thousands upon thousands of shells through it.  

He is more than welcome to borrow it.  It is my youth loaner gun now.