Sign in to follow this  
300 wsm

My wifes first Whitetail hunt

Hunted hard for 5 days not seeing a lot of bucks. Seen a fork horn the first day in the evening. Went two more days when we finally seen two more bucks. Two small three points, but they were too far to get to before sun down. My wife was not trophy hunting, but wanted to get at least a three point. The fourth day revealed no deer at all in the morning. We had glassed several does and the two three points the evening before, but could not find a deer. Then I caught some movement under a tree. It was a lion! I called my wife over so she could see it. She was very excited to see her first lion. She watched him for a few minutes when I heard her say I see another one. So I quickly started glassing where she told me to, and found the other one. So I asked her what she would like to do, and she decided she wanted to try to call them in. So as quick as we could we got into position near where we seen them. I started varmint calling and quickly saw both lions heading in our direction. I told my wife to get ready cause they were coming fast. She could not see them from where she was sitting. I quit calling when one of the lions got close to us. He came up the rise and seen me. Thats when all heck broke loose. He looked me dead in the eyes and rushed me. I pulled my pistol out and shot at about 20 feet, and missed, but the lion kept coming. He leaped at me and I shot him in the head at about 5 feet. The lion went limp and hit my feet. Talk about a close encounter!

The 5th day of the hunt revealed only does and one big big bear. My wife wanted to shoot the bear but did not have a clean oppertunity and did not want to wound him. The 6th day was our last day of hunting. We were going to hunt the morning and then leave. My wife decided she wanted to go into the area that we hunted the second day. We didnt even see a doe the second day, but she wanted to because I have harvested two nice bucks out of that area. We started glassing as soon as it was light enough. In about 5 minutes I spotted 2 bucks across from us. We hurried up to get into position. We made it to 440 yards but my wife was not comfortable shooting at that distance. So as quickly as we could we worked our way down the canyon and across. Soon we found ourselves 286 yards from 5 bucks. I was in such a hurry I did not spot the other ones from the other side. She waited for her buck to turn broadside and made a clean kill. What a fun hunt.

l_21f592e2c8757e69cdb089f389ebc99f.jpg

l_9ffb97c2d3919d14df22c3b9b572dc25.jpg

l_d8be733b922cf096d0bbe016f9058951.jpg

l_1181b10ae3032fba0a29befa4c419ae9.jpg

Thats awesome. A big congrats to your wife. And a nice lion, the rancher I met would like the fact that you thinned the lion population a little. I drove my quad up and down the road all of Wednsday afternoon looking for you but couldn't find you or your camp. What time did you pull out? Is it just me or are all the bucks in that area nice and fat?

Now that sounds like an AWESOME hunt! Congratulations!!

Sounds like you had the "charging African lion" hunt right here in Arizona!

Man, getting charged by that lion is something else. It will make me think twice about using a predator call in that canyon country by myself. I hope to get a unit 27 lion someday, I just have never been lucky enough to see any, except for one along time ago.

I wasn't going to bring my pistol on my son's hunt coming up. I just changed my mind. Congrats!

Wow! To be charged like that would have been exciting to say the least.

Congrats on taking the lion!

Big congrats to the wife to...nice buck!

Congrats to you on your lion and a big congrats to your wife on her deer. What a great hunt you both had. :)

TJ