Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Anyone going to 36a?

Curious how you 36A guys have done so far.  My son has the youth hunt starting this Friday and I'm having a bit of an existential crisis.  He's 13 and has killed a couple Coues deer already so I'd like to get him on a muley, but we're not picky either and only have a couple days to hunt.  I'm very familiar with the unit so I have plenty of places to go look for either, but I admittedly haven't hunted down there since 2018 and it's been 15 years since I was looking for muleys on purpose.  I know I can find a Coues buck, but muleys are more of a nemesis for me, especially in these desert units, so just curious what your experience was in the earlier seasons if you're willing to share (publicly or PM).  Thanks!  -Luke  

4 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Curious how you 36A guys have done so far.  My son has the youth hunt starting this Friday and I'm having a bit of an existential crisis.  He's 13 and has killed a couple Coues deer already so I'd like to get him on a muley, but we're not picky either and only have a couple days to hunt.  I'm very familiar with the unit so I have plenty of places to go look for either, but I admittedly haven't hunted down there since 2018 and it's been 15 years since I was looking for muleys on purpose.  I know I can find a Coues buck, but muleys are more of a nemesis for me, especially in these desert units, so just curious what your experience was in the earlier seasons if you're willing to share (publicly or PM).  Thanks!  -Luke  

Check into the AZSCI youth camp. Lots of good helpers there and I’ll bet they can help get you on some nice mulies. 

• Like 2

Thanks bigorange.  That is a great suggestion and I appreciate you mentioning it.  I had looked into it but they already had the max 200 people sign up, so they weren't taking any additional youths.  Honestly, I'd rather avoid that rodeo anyway and just hunt solo with my son, but it was certainly worth a look in case we got desperate.  🤣   

What we’re everyone’s thoughts on 36a this year? Wife has her first hunt going on right now, probably head down after Christmas for the week unless we hear things are rutting early.  

I’m hunting across the road. I went out the first four days, headed back tomorrow. No signs of rut 

2 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

Just wondering, Why only go for one week? 

Is this a serious question? People have jobs where they can't take multiple weeks off during the holidays. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Is this a serious question? People have jobs where they can't take multiple weeks off during the holidays. 

No shoot I’m talking about going on the weekends

9 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

do people actually hunt coues deer for more than week?

I would love to if I could get drawn for the late hunt haha, I put in for it every year, haven’t drawn it once, and I have a buddy that drew it 3 years in a row!

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, EarlyBronco said:

I would love to if I could get drawn for the late hunt haha, I put in for it every year, haven’t drawn it once, and I have a buddy that drew it 3 years in a row!

That dirty dog. Did he say it was good hunting, rut? Those previous years 

Yes I’ve been on it once with another buddy  3 years ago, it snowed and sleeted on us , and seen plenty deer , seen some try to mount does and a lot of chasing too, pretty cool hunt but freezing tho, this was the weekend before Christmas, that’s why I was asking why they were just going one week