Guest Ernesto C

My unbelievable Sonora Experience

Guest Ernesto C

My dear and lovely fellow members of this the most beatifull web site,I dont know how to feel,where to start or how to tell you what happened on my dream hunt but here I go:(please excuse my spelling but I'm writing this with with my heart and I'm still shaking) :lol:

First two days of the hunt were really tough and a little dissapointing because the wheather looked like the tipical wheather we got in July or August,it was very hot and we did not locate any bucks just does.

The 3rd day of hunt it got really cold and finally we located bucks chasing does.We saw a buck chasing a doe really hard,he was persistent.We move in closer for a better look and I decided not to take him becasue he wasn't big enough,he was a 3 pointer(not including eye guards) but not to big and I know the caliber of bucks this ranch has. Later on we glass a small two pointer also chasing a doe.I was getting really excited and happy to see signs of the rut,I knew it was just matter of time. We also saw some big muleys with does,it looked like they were also starting to rut.

Finally on the 4th day of the hunt we spot it a BIG buck with six does,the body size of this brute was impressive! He was about 500 yards from and below us,we moved in closer for a better look and now we were about 350 yards from him.This amazing buck had antlers wider than its ears!! LOONNG main beams and tall tines! Wow what a brute! I decided I wanted him so I back up a little,move in closer,now I was about 250 yards from him! One more time I looked at him with my Docter 15X60's WOW the body size was unbelievable and the width of the antlers too!!Yaaahhoooo!! I felt like the most blessed guy on earth!(some people called luck)

We estimated the buck to be way over 114 inches easy!! it had a typical frame he was a 8 pointer (including eye guards)

So I was on a nice wide rock,put my back pack as a rifle rest,I was about ready to aim at him and when I took the safety off of my rifle the gun went BOOOMMM!!!!!

???? I was what the ...!?!?!!?? I did not even touch the trigger and the gun fired!! I was in total shock completly confuse and did not knew what was going on!! The buck and the does did not run or got spuke at all! They just raised their heads for a couple of seconds and they went back to eat! so I worked the action put another round in to the chamber (remember the safety is off now) aim at the buck,put the cross airs behind his shoulder and pull the triger and......!!????!!?? nothing but silence!! I was pulling the trigger and nothing happened!!the gun was not firing!! I quickly put the safety back on and feed another round in to the chamber,took the safety off and BOOOMMM again!!!! The rifle was firing when I was taking the safety off!!! Oh Loooorrddd what is going on!!!!!?? The bick buck and the does started walking away towards a thick wash and I just looking at him <_<

Wow what a brute and unbelievable but true events,I was very sad,I had no spare rifle and the owners of the ranch did not had guns so my hunt was over.I still had had 3 more days to but how if I had no rifle??

On my way home I stopped and looked at the mountain and said farewell King I will see you next year;because yuo know,my and that buck have an appointment next year,that buck has my name on it,is a personall challenge.

I will like to thank my good friend Danny Howard (coueselk) for his help and advice on this hunt,God bless you Danny and don't forget,we got big ones to chase in Sonora next year.

Has any of you had a nightmare like this one?

Ernesto C.

What a heartbreaking experience! I'm sure you will get him next year. Did you find out what happend to your rifle yet? Had you dropped or banged it?

Guest Ernesto C

No Mike,the rifle was never dropped or banged,as a matter of fact the day before we saw a buck chasing a doe,I knew the one behind her was a buck because he had his nose stuck to the ground,not knowing how big the buck was I quickly feed a round in to the chamber and took the safety off and aim at the buck so that means that there was nothing wrong with the rifle the day before so I dont know what happened;it is a mechanical piece and they do fail but what a moment to fail which reminds me: always point your gun in a safe direction because you never know.

Guest Ernesto C

I'm working on that,if I can only take or found a legal gun there.....and of course I need me wife's permision too <_< :lol:

Ernesto C.

Just take your bow. <_< Do you have to register a new gun? Maybe you could take your gun to a gunsmith and get it fixed today?

Ernesto, that's a heartbreaker, sorry to hear that story, didn't even know you were going down there, try and go back NOW, i'll talk to you'r wife for you, if you need anything let me know. Couple of years ago i was whitetail hunting in Idaho and found a great buck, mid 160's type, right at dark, maybe 125 yards out at the edge of timber, i sat down and said thank you god put my rife to my face and couldn't see a thing , scope was completly fogged through and through, tried to clean it, even tried getting closer and just line of sight down the barrel it, no good, got to dark, never saw the buck again, still think about that one.

thank god nobody got hurt.that sucks.........the reward for that will be better next year.thats how it goes.what kind of rifle do you have?sounds like a trigger

Guest Ernesto C

It's a Remington Mohawk. Next year I will take two rifles,my trusty 30-06 and maybe a 270 or my wife's 308.

Ernesto, that is a sad story. Would you believe the same thing happened on my son's junior hunt this year. His gun was the new Winchester Super Shadow in the 270 wsm. We never did figure out what happened. It works perfectly now. I would have taken the gun back but we had done some trigger work to it. It wasn't anything that we could see and it just started working properly again. We did take it apart, checked it out and made some adjustments. My son learned why you always keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction.

Scott

Oh my Gosh!

Ernesto That is sad and scary all at the same time. Thankfully you had the gun pointed in a safe direction. Too bad about the buck, but it still is a good story and you lived to tell it!and as you said... there is always next year!

Ernesto, That same thing happend to my brother with his rifle. Everytime he would take the safety off it would fire off a round, He later found out it was the trigger pull adjustment screw had worked its way loose... :blink:

Sorry to hear about that Ernesto, but no one got hurt so there is always next year.

Good Luck and God Bless.