Guest Ernesto C

My unbelievable Sonora Experience

Ernesto

Sorry to hear about your gun problems. I know a good gunsmith here in El Centro that could probably fix it the same day! Call me if you want to bring it over, Maybe you can still go back and get that big Buck. I am thankful that there was no other harm done! Sounds kinda scarry. Were you happy with the overall experience, Housing, the ranch, crossing the border, etc.? Talk to You later! Coues Addict

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks every one for your support,help and coments,like I said the day before the rifle was still working ok.Good thing I never had a round in the chamber and never took the safety off.

My overall experience was great,you know except for the gun,nice ranch and no problems at check points,everything went really good,had a good time and aboce all thank God no accidents aof any kind happened.

Ernesto C.

Hey Ernesto,

I ain't one of your "dear and lovely" members of this site, but I am a fellow one.

Wow, what an incredibly aggravating and disappointing episode. I feel for ya, partner. Can't even imagine what that moment felt like. But hang in there, you've had your bad hunting incident for a few years.

If you do many hunts, then things are gonna go wrong on a few of them. Just the law of averages. The key is..........ride the bad ones out and look forward to the great hunts. They will come along. And when they do, they are..............SWEET!

Take care.

Oh man Ernesto that hurts :P . I feel for you brother. I am here in Tucson if you need anything.

:P

Ernesto, I'm SORRY to hear that! Horrible, my heart goes out to you! SO SAD!! I was guiding one of my buddies son's this past October Hunt and same thing happened to him......had a buck of a lifetime 75 yards from us and everytime he went to put a bullet in the chamber, the gun would fire. VERY SCRARY. No body was hurt, thank god. Felt so sorry for the little guy! (Ended up happening on another deer - anyways, his dad took the gun in and they said the firing pin was stuck)

Hang in there, many many more coues to come!!

Tommy

Ernesto, that's a crappy thing to happen. i can tell you what is wrong with your rifle. it says remington on the barrel. i know this is gonna start a lot o' howlin', but it's the truth. the model 600 and 700 both have the same problem. they get a little bit of dirt in the trigger notch and when the safety is released it allows the hammer to slide right over notch and drop. i've seen this happen enough times that i never use a remington when i'm real serious. the post 64, push feed winchesters can have the same problem too. and your rifle doesn't have to be "dirty". you mighta just cleaned it. the old model 720, 721's and 725's all had the same problem too. i use a nearly 60 year old model 70 for a reason. it never fails. it has a 3 position hammer safety, not a trigger safety. you can break the trigger off and it won't fire if the safety is on. it has an exposed, completely adjustable trigger that is easy to keep real clean. and it has a mauser type extractor that will drag a stuck case out even if you have to beat the bolt open with a rock for some reason. i own quite a few remingtons. my kids have shot several truck loads of bucks with a mohawk .243. but i'm real careful keeping the trigger clean. and when i'm real serious about what i'm doing, my old .270 is in the scabbard. most newer rifles, in the past 30 or 40 years anyway and especially remingtons, have a "canned" trigger. the trigger set up is an assembly that comes out with just the removal of one pin. all the parts are enclosed and it's real hard to adjust most of them. and it's real easy for it to get a little dirt in it that you can't see. anyway, if you're gonna use a canned trigger rifle, make sure it's clean. good luck next year. Lark.

Guest Ernesto C

Again,thanks a lot my fellow members for your support and coments.

I was trying to go again there this coming week but my vacation was denied :D Then I asked if I can have Friday and Monday as vacation so I can hunt Friday,Sat.Sunday and maybe half a day Monday but it was also denied :( I was told to use my 3 sick days but if I use them I will get 3 "attendance points" which is a "write up warning" if I dont take them a doctor's excuse.Which it means that if one day I really get sick or if for some reason I miss a day then I'll get fired.

I don't know if I should go for it or wait until next year.It's a challenge and I like challenges;then if I dont go maybe I will always be asking my self "why din't you go?especially if for some reason I don't make it next year.

Lark you are correct,is a Remington Mohawk,I'm a remington fan and I never experience any problem like this one,I was thinking that maybe the rifle was too old,because the other Remingtons I have are a lot newer.I just called the shop and I was told is fixed and ready to go,but to tell you the thrut,I lost my confidence on that rifle,I dont know if I will trusted again.

Well we'll see if this story has a 2nd part to it. Take care every body.Blessings.

Ernesto C.

The model 600 and 660 had a recall way back when for this very reason after a kid was killed. I would contact Remington to get more info to see if they can fix it for nothing as this gun may never had the fix. What a bummer//

well make a doctors appointment for the day you get back and say you been real dizzy and afriad to drive.just say it happens when you sit down,Im an expet in getting out of work to go hunting,however if you told them you wanted to go then your screwed

Guest Ernesto C

Diamonbackaz,nice nose and lips :D but above all very interesting information,you are the second person that tells me that.Like said before I lost my confidence on that gun.I will take it to the range probably tomorrow and try it several times just to make sure.

Ultramag,thanks for the idea.I'm still undecided.

Thanks for the encouragement treestandman.

Hey Scott,

My Win 70 300 sm did the same thing once, never again. All I can say, is that ANYTIME you take a gun off safety. Make sure its pointed in a safe direction.

Redman

I'll second that. Never trust the mechanical safety, it could save you some heartaches...some serious ones.

Scott

What a sad story. Sorry to hear it, but a good story never the less. Good luck with that deer next year!

Not that it would make any differance on weather or not to point your gun in a safe direction, but does anybody know if the Ruger Mark II rifles could potentially run into this safety problem. I just bought a new 7 mm Rem Mag and haven't taken it apart yet, but that's almost terrifying to hear that more than one of you have had your rifles go off by taking the safety off.

-Joe