Mr. Jonathan

New to Mesa, New to Coues Deer

Hey all, I just moved here this last June from Nevada. I'm a die hard mule deer bowhunter, but ever since I found out about these little coues deer out here, I've kinda been infatuated with them. The trouble is, I've been very unsuccessful in finding them so far. I've seen one up north of Roosevelt lake, and my wife and I found a couple sheds, but haven't really been able to pick any of these guys out with the glasses yet. I'm gonna be getting an archery tag in January and was hoping to hunt in 22 or 23, hopefully in the Mazatzals. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Even a point in the right direction would be very helpful. I was up at Canyon lake today and found several sheep and two rams, but no deer. Am I just in the wrong places? Am I out of my mind trying to chase these things spot and stalk around Mesa? Any info would be great help. Thanks!

Welcome to AZ

Lots of spots for Coues in the 2X units to the north, and even more in 3X units to the south. The closer to town the more folks you will share the spots with.

Sent you a PM

Dan

Thanks to those that are being so helpful to new people looking for info. It sure helps make this site a productive, helpful and informative place for hunters. I appreciate it.

Amanda

thank u amanda iam new to the site to and tired of hearing all the negativity on here.

Welcome to the site Mr. Johnathon and I hope you get a chance to stock a few coues. I will pm you with a few of my hunting spots around Apache Lake. This is the time of year they forget about what has kept them alive all year and can really be very productive glassing. Good luck. PM being sent.

flagpkmule....I must of missed you as a newbie but welcome. I'm sure by now you know how some feel about what they believe is e-scouting. I guess it's the nature of some to want to sound off but that's their right even though it might not be right. my $.02

Good luck on all your hunts. :D

TJ

E-Scouters? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you decide to come down to the 34A/B region I can show you some good spots to glass and hunt from. I don't know much about the units further north.

hello - B)

you kinda answered your own question -- you have seen deer and found sheds- -That" s your spot ! Now spend the time to find the deer . Most of the dedicated Coues hunters will sit and glass for days. Looking at he same general area , that we know hold deer. The Coues bucks natural instincts and color makes them one of the hardest to locate. Purchase pair of QUALITY binoculars and forget the 10x -12 x and get a 15x > I've been with friends who own and use the best and they continually are trying to point out where the deer are to me .

If your hunting unit 21 - some goods spots around MT.Ord -even the 4 peaks area - I would even concider boating accross bartlett lake and hunt the foothills.

As far as 23 - Anywhere around the town of Young- and It's fairly easy to find them from PunkinCenter all the way down to Tortilla Flats on the north side of Roosevelt!

The Best advise it to get out and look around - Go to the G$F information on each unit - these guys give you some of the best spots to start in any unit in the state !! for any species !

Gary

Somehow I missed this thread earlier. Anyway, if you don't mind hiking or backpacking into areas and would like to hunt undisturbed deer, I have a few places like that in 22 (Mazatzals) and 24B (Superstition Wilderness). I will be going out in Jan and if you want to glass/discuss coues you're welcome to come along. I've come to that time in my life to start 'passing on' hunting areas that I've kept to myself to the younger generation. Paying back those that helped me and did the same for me years ago.

PM if you're interested.

Here's one of my favorite areas in 22.

DSCF0108_(Small).JPG

Picture_079_(Small).jpg

Kent

Somehow I missed this thread earlier. Anyway, if you don't mind hiking or backpacking into areas and would like to hunt undisturbed deer, I have a few places like that in 22 (Mazatzals) and 24B (Superstition Wilderness). I will be going out in Jan and if you want to glass/discuss coues you're welcome to come along. I've come to that time in my life to start 'passing on' hunting areas that I've kept to myself to the younger generation. Paying back those that helped me and did the same for me years ago.

PM if you're interested.

Here's one of my favorite areas in 22.

DSCF0108_(Small).JPG

Picture_079_(Small).jpg

Kent

Kent,

Your willingness to help out and even take along another member you haven't even knwon is quite considerate and shows the character of some of our great members Amanda has on this site. I have been trying to do the same and even though Ive gotten some nasty mail from some members on it I will continue to try and pass our hunting heritage on to the next generation as well. Good luck on your hunts. :)

TJ

TJ, keep up the good work. When I was young I didn't really understand why some of the older guys were willing to spend their hunting time helping me rather than just concentrating on their own hunt. I do now. I would rather help someone achieve their goal rather than just kill another animal myself, If it wasn't for those guys I wouldn't have had the great hunting life I've had, the old traditions must continue. If there are those that think I'm giving up other's honey holes. Well there would accually have to be others hunting these areas. The only person I've ever seen is a ranch hand on a horse checking cattle and the only footprints are my own from previous scouting/backpacking trips. Times may be changing in our hunting culture, I guess some of us are stuck in the past, so be it.

Good luck to you also, see ya out there.

Kent

Hey Mr. Jonathan, I don't know anything about those units, but I can tell you one thing I have learned about these little guys is that when your glassing and you know there's deer in the area, there's a good chance you're looking right at them but they haven't shown themselves yet! I've stared at the same hillsides for hours to finally see an ear flicker and realize I've been looking past them for hours.... just my $0.02...

These are the kind of posts that make you sign up for a sight. I have been reading here forever it seems and am impressed with it. I am in the same boat, can find sheds but have yet to see a single couse alive and walking, and as far as I have read this is the best response I have read anywhere. Fellow archers/hunters reaching out to help.

Like I said I have been giving this couse thing a wirl and wow. The more I am unsuccesful the more I am facinated. I have a spot outside of Payson in the pines where I have found sheds, see tracks, but I'll be danged if I can see them. If you are interested in going with a fellow novice drop me a line, I'll be going out at least two weekends in Jan. Be happy to take you along but it sounds like you will have plenty of help and spots to start.

Again congrats to all who are making this a great site! ....and as Post #1 hellow to everyone!

These are the kind of posts that make you sign up for a sight. I have been reading here forever it seems and am impressed with it. I am in the same boat, can find sheds but have yet to see a single couse alive and walking, and as far as I have read this is the best response I have read anywhere. Fellow archers/hunters reaching out to help.

Like I said I have been giving this couse thing a wirl and wow. The more I am unsuccesful the more I am facinated. I have a spot outside of Payson in the pines where I have found sheds, see tracks, but I'll be danged if I can see them. If you are interested in going with a fellow novice drop me a line, I'll be going out at least two weekends in Jan. Be happy to take you along but it sounds like you will have plenty of help and spots to start.

Again congrats to all who are making this a great site! ....and as Post #1 hellow to everyone!

Welcome to our site. Yes, I said our site because I'm proud to be a member and hope everyone passes on that this is not only a discussion forum but the best information site on coues whitetail hunting that anyone will ever find.

If you have a spot in Payson then you are driving past a bunch of whitetails every trip up. If you haven't seen a coues yet then just stop by Mt. Ore and do some glassing and you will probably see your first. It might not be a buck and there might be a hundred people but you usually see at least a doe or two. Also try glassing around the Sunflower area for a real good chance of spotting whitetails as well. They aren't the best places to hunt but you will see some coues deer if you glass long enough. Good luck on your first siting. :)

TJ