longshooter

A true old school coues hunter

post-896-1227991731_thumb.jpgHere is a pic of my great grandfather with a coues deer he shot back in the late 30's in southern Arizona.. He hunted coues deer up intell his mid 80's and has killed more southern Arizona coues bucks over the 100" mark than any one I know of. Just thought I would post this pic because its amazing how much hunting coues has changed over the years.

Cool picture. That reminds me of the days in the 50s when we hunted without optics of any kind and old thutty-thuttys or military surplus rifles of various kinds. It was like hunting quail without dogs. Flush 'em out and hope to put some lead in 'em afore they was outta range. Times have changed. Now we hunt them like the exotic game animals that they are. Change is sometimes good. Jack

that is an awsome piture. it makesme laugh when i look at my grandpas hunting pics because he was always wearing a flannel and jeans, nothing like these days :lol:

Neat photo, and he's carrying that buck the same way I used to carry mine.

It definitely is a Model 99 Savage. I know, because my first "deer rifle" also was a 99 and it brought down more than a few deer and javelinas until I discovered the .270 in the 1960s.

Although Savage made a few 99s in .30-30, most of the early ones were chambered for the .303 Savage (mine was). It was a .30 caliber Savage proprietory cartridge, ballistically identical to the .30-30. I still reload ammo for my rifle using .30-30 data in reloading manuals and a 50+-year-old Lyman "nutcracker" tool.

Are you sure the photo is from the 1930s? I always thought that pistol grips and flat buttplates on the rear stocks of the Model 99 Savage came along a bit later.

Bill Quimby

It definitely is a Model 99 Savage. I know, because my first "deer rifle" also was a 99 and it brought down more than a few deer and javelinas until I discovered the .270 in the 1960s.

Although Savage made a few 99s in .30-30, most of the early ones were chambered for the .303 Savage (mine was). It was a .30 caliber Savage proprietory cartridge, ballistically identical to the .30-30. I still reload ammo for my rifle using .30-30 data in reloading manuals and a 50+-year-old Lyman "nutcracker" tool.

Are you sure the photo is from the 1930s? I always thought that pistol grips and flat buttplates on the rear stocks of the Model 99 Savage came along a bit later.

Bill Quimby

Sweet old picture...you got to love those old days.

Bill, my kids great grandfather hunted with the same...the .303 savage. He still has it and has shelved it for a long time just because he cant find the ammo for it. Can you still buy the ammo, or reload it only?

Love the old picture and funny how with all the techno stuff we have now, looking back to the good old days...

No camo, Scentlock, radios, Gamecameras, scopes, etc... and many folks did well anyway.

Bill Quimby

it could be the very early 40's . for some reason I thought the pic was taken in the late 30's for some reason according to my grandmother

A few guys here who have hunted coues for awhile in az might even know who he is.

It is Lara " pappy" Knipp.

"Bill, my kids great grandfather hunted with the same...the .303 savage. He still has it and has shelved it for a long time just because he cant find the ammo for it. Can you still buy the ammo, or reload it only?"

The last I bought was about 15-20 years ago. One of the sellers at an antique fair in Phoenix had a box of Winchester/Western on his table. I have about 100 cases stockpiled and haven't needed to buy any more, but if anyone is still making .303 Savage ammo the people at MidwayUSA.com probably would know.

Bill Quimby

I love those old pics. I started with a 300 Savage that was stupid accurate. My father sold it at a carport sales years ago for a couple hundred bucks not knowing what he had. David

I love those old black and white's, and cherish the few pictures I have of my grandparents taken when they were younger than I am.

Like most of you I immediately noticed the model 99. I still have the one my father purchased in the 50's while he was in the service. Mine is in .300 savage, and my recollection is the .300 savage has been around since well before the above picture was taken, although I'm not familiear enough with the variations in the model 99 to date the rifle from a picture. I thought the .303 savage was only chambered for a short time and was then replaced by the .300 savage as a more efficient cartridge, basically a cut-down 30-06.

Anyway, I can't image how much more difficult it would be to hunt cous deer with open sights.

Thanks for sharing that picture with us.

Bret