Sign in to follow this  
rnhunter

Berger Match bullets for Hunting

I know this has been covered, ive called Berger myself to talk to them about it but would you guys be comfortable using match bullets for hunting elk? Specifically 7Mag 168 gr. I bought a couple boxes a while back, didn't pay close attention and bought the match bullets instead of the hunting bullets. Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks

Daryl

Well, I have been shooting HSM with the 168 Berger HPBT Hunting VLD. Very accurate in my older 700, right at .5 MOA. With that said it was explosive on a Coues at 200 yards and there was too much pelt damage for me.

I was with member Goldfinger a couple of years ago and he used them on an elk and there was more damage than expected as the bullets came apart after a few inches of penetration resulting in more than a couple of shots to anchor the bull. IIRC shots were a bit over than 500 yards.

Based on that performance, this year I switched to Barnes VOR-TX 160gr Factory ammo and enjoyed the same accuracy. I did shoot a 5X5 Bull last year at 400 yards and the bullet went through both shoulders lodging under the hide on the far side. The bull went less than 5 yards. 

Another bullet to give a hard look at is the Sierra 165 TGK. I have heard really good things about them.

All day long, I prefer the match over the hunting. If the match are not in stock then I'll buy the hunting ones.

I have shot/been there with 6.5 cal 135gr Berger HuntingVLD on 3 cow elk and 1 mule deer with good results, but they are going slow. Estimated 2550fps muzzle, and most of the impacts were 120-250yards. Only 1 had an exit wound. Nothing went more than 20-80 yards. 

I have heard the target hybrid actually have a thicker jacket and might be better for hunting.

I have also started working with all copper buckets. The last cow elk was with 165gr 30 cal Barnes TTSX. It exited and the cow died in 40 yards. 

If you shoot Bergers just don't shoot heavy bone on purpose IMO. Be good enough to put it in the pocket behind the shoulder.