Sign in to follow this  
zslayer

NM Unit 24/Fort Bayard

Hi guys,

My 15yo daughter drew a NM tag again this year! Last year she drew a December 27 coues tag and with the help from a couple guys on here it was a success and very appreciated! 

This year she drew a unit 24 youth hunt which is any antlered deer and the youth are granted hunting access to the Fort Bayard area.   Has anyone had any experience with the area?  

I haven't been in the unit a whole lot but I see plenty around silver city. I find some deer along the 180 just northwest of silver city. Not sure if there is any better areas though

• Like 1

As a youngin,  you could see Ft Bayard and Hurley from my grand parents back porch.

Some great glassing opportunities from those desert picachos in the southern portions of the unit. They may look barren but hold nice bucks.

Get out ahead of the hunt to assure access. Area ranchers have been known to lock gates and post private property signs on the public lands they've leased.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

Can you use trail cams in New mexico still?

I believe so.

• Like 1

Are you guys New Mexico residents? I've been putting my kids in for 5 years in a row over there and can't draw shoot. I know a guy that got a unit wide landowner tag for that unit last year he sold it and guided a kid on that hunt they killed a giant. I wish I would have bought the tag for one of my kids but we had other hunts going on in other States at that time

1 minute ago, 257 STW said:

Are you guys New Mexico residents? I've been putting my kids in for 5 years in a row over there and can't draw shoot. I know a guy that got a unit wide landowner tag for that unit last year he sold it and guided a kid on that hunt they killed a giant. I wish I would have bought the tag for one of my kids but we had other hunts going on in other States at that time

We are non residents, Colorado.   I don’t draw anything just my kids lol.  But I’m okay with that.  Got one kid with the 24 youth tag and one kid drew a Barbary for February 24’

I have a buddy that's a guide over there I'll get you in contact with him

• Like 1