Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Colorado Regulations and Rules

40 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Not knocking you but didnt you know shed hunting was closed? Seems like all northern states are closed up right now but that sucks. So if you had one more shed they could have hit you with another 5 points and taken your license for 5 years? I'd avoid Colorado for a while because just one more infraction even a small one could end your hunting for 5 years.

No sheds were collected..............and yes very aware that "shed hunting" was closed!

Lessons learned.  Utah doing the same thing.  Probably a good thing based on how valuable sheds have become.  Some guys are making half years salary grabbing sheds.  No doubt on severe winters, the extra break is good for the critters.  

Sounds like you got lucky. The private land thing could've landed you 20 points alone and a date with a suspension hearing, which is reciprocal in 48 states...

Colorado is a different beast, it's your responsibility to know the law, know the boundaries even if unmarked.

4 minutes ago, sneakem33 said:

Sounds like you got lucky. The private land thing could've landed you 20 points alone and a date with a suspension hearing, which is reciprocal in 48 states...

That's is what I'm told, oddly enough I didn't cross any fences but hey.....my mistake again.

12 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Explain this points thing…

sneakem might be more versed in the point thing but basically you get x amount of points for different violations, I don't know the break down but it isn't anything to mess with for sure!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

sneakem might be more versed in the point thing but basically you get x amount of points for different violations, I don't know the break down but it isn't anything to mess with for sure!!!

Had no idea that existed. 

So you didn't "collect" sheds, you didn't cross onto private land, you didn't do anything wrong but you did enough that they took it easy on you and didn't take your license for 5 years. Somethings not adding up. How about the full story instead of all the cryptic stuff?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

So you didn't "collect" sheds, you didn't cross onto private land, you didn't do anything wrong but you did enough that they took it easy on you and didn't take your license for 5 years. Somethings not adding up. How about the full story instead of all the cryptic stuff?

Agreed on things not adding up! Sheds were picked up and then put back down on the ground, gps coordinates logged and more hiking 

Guilty as charged for shed hunting no fee for antlers collected because none were collected! 
While hiking, crossed into private land, no posted signs and no fence! Charged with unlawful trespassing!

Harassment of wildlife because hiking occurred in the hills where antlers were laying on the ground specifically mule deer antlers! Charged!

I didn’t ever say nothing wrong occurred and there is nothing cryptic about the charges but honestly for my simple mind some things don’t add up!

If you were out in the same exact hills “hunting coyotes “ and never touched an antler you could have logged gps waypoints and maybe you are legal?

I am okay with the idea that maybe there is a property line un marked, research should have been done!

Harassment of wildlife? Hiking in the hills 500 yards from the 50 hwy where deer pile up on the roadside daily? No wildlife was being chased or harassed anymore than CPW out there planting trap antlers!

It is done, good lesson learned, fees have been paid and lashes to points distributed!

• Like 2

Colorado issues points against your license privileges' per violation, much like a drivers license.  If you accumulate 20 points in a 5 year period, you will be sent in front of a hearing examiner that will recommend a suspension anywhere from a year to life depending on the severity of the charges.

Also Colorado differs from Arizona on the private property.  In Colorado it does not need to be posted or marked or fenced.  It is your responsibility to know where you are at all times.  Hunting in Arizona was a shock to me with regards to private property and use the first time I hunted it.  The legal postings and use are way different than Colorado.

In Colorado shed hunting is considered anything in the act of shed hunting, no touching/stashing/looking/scouting/marking with GPS.  In the Gunnison basin there is also an hourly closure from sunset until 10am through May 15th because of the Sage Grouse mating season.

Doesn't take much to lose your license in Colorado, one minor slip up can put you over the threshold quite easily.

Inherently in Colorado picking up 1 antler could be the end of your hunting privilege's for a while.  Shed hunting 5 points, possession of an antler 5 points, harassing wildlife 10 points.... you're at 20, Yep, there is a lack of enforcement, but the consequence is high if you do get caught.  I don't think people are really aware of the risk, all for a stupid horn.  I love picking up bone, but I'm not going to even chance it....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sneakem33 said:

Colorado issues points against your license privileges' per violation, much like a drivers license.  If you accumulate 20 points in a 5 year period, you will be sent in front of a hearing examiner that will recommend a suspension anywhere from a year to life depending on the severity of the charges.

Also Colorado differs from Arizona on the private property.  In Colorado it does not need to be posted or marked or fenced.  It is your responsibility to know where you are at all times.  Hunting in Arizona was a shock to me with regards to private property and use the first time I hunted it.  The legal postings and use are way different than Colorado.

In Colorado shed hunting is considered anything in the act of shed hunting, no touching/stashing/looking/scouting/marking with GPS.  In the Gunnison basin there is also an hourly closure from sunset until 10am through May 15th because of the Sage Grouse mating season.

Doesn't take much to lose your license in Colorado, one minor slip up can put you over the threshold quite easily.

Inherently in Colorado picking up 1 antler could be the end of your hunting privilege's for a while.  Shed hunting 5 points, possession of an antler 5 points, harassing wildlife 10 points.... you're at 20, Yep, there is a lack of enforcement, but the consequence is high if you do get caught.  I don't think people are really aware of the risk, all for a stupid horn.  I love picking up bone, but I'm not going to even chance it....

Thanks sneakem, good to know, again lesson learned...................

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Seems rather odd, that you can do all other things on public land except touch antlers. I think CPW is definitely the strictest wildlife agency I've ever dealt with. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zackcarp said:

Thanks for the info. Seems rather odd, that you can do all other things on public land except touch antlers. I think CPW is definitely the strictest wildlife agency I've ever dealt with. 

I had an encounter with NM G$F when I was 16 back in the 70's but have not had a single encounter since with any G$F until well......Colorado

On 4/26/2023 at 9:37 AM, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Thanks sneakem, good to know, again lesson learned...................

Lots of states private doesn’t need to be posted to be posted so before you go to another state you better look that law up

• Like 1