Sign in to follow this  
TR0UBLE SH00TER

Applying together point spread

Edited the title after responses.

We would like to try and increase my youth son's  chances this year of getting drawn for a specific multi unit hunt, 

so we're trying to get a group of youths on the application together. 

Thank you, TR0UBLE SH00TER

So how many preference points does he have? 3? So you are looking for children who have 5+ to put in on your application to increase his odds? Has he hunted before? If not, maybe put him in for an easier draw so he can just enjoy the hunt experience. 

• Like 1

I don't believe you are interpreting the process correctly. Putting in with others only help your son's chances if the others have more bonus point than he does. If that is the case, it would help your son but lessen the chances of those on the application with him. The points of all individuals on the application are averaged out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

I don't believe you are interpreting the process correctly. Putting in with others only help your son's chances if the others have more bonus point than he does. If that is the case, it would help your son but lessen the chances of those on the application with him. The points of all individuals on the application are averaged out.

With only the Hunter Ed point (because he tagged the buck in my Avatar last year), having 3 or 4 applicants on his application would increase his odds of getting drawn.

Right?

55 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

So how many preference points does he have? 3? So you are looking for children who have 5+ to put in on your application to increase his odds? Has he hunted before? If not, maybe put him in for an easier draw so he can just enjoy the hunt experience. 

Can you read and respond to my post responding to Mogollon Man? It was directed to both of you.

Thank you for the responses.

10 minutes ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

With only the Hunter Ed point (because he tagged the buck in my Avatar last year), having 3 or 4 applicants on his application would increase his odds of getting drawn.

Right?

Only if the other applicants have several bonus points. If four kids are on the app. The total points are divided by four.

From past experiences, skip the jr. Hunts and put him in for the general hunts the chances are much better because there are way more tags.

• Like 6

I did misunderstand. I thought it would be like having an 2 or 3 extra raffle tickets in the drawing with his name on attached.

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm fairly new at this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

I did misunderstand. I thought it would be like having an 2 or 3 extra raffle tickets in the drawing with his name on attached.

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm fairly new at this.

I think some people don't realize kids don't have to put in for jr. Hunts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I think some people don't realize kids don't have to put in for jr. Hunts.

Now I'm really confused.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dusty said:

Now I'm really confused.

It's just an option not a mandatory requirement. Usually because those hunt's are earlier and "may" have better odds of being drawn.

11 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

It's just an option not a mandatory requirement. Usually because those hunt's are earlier and "may" have better odds of being drawn.

And are half price 

40 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Not sure about better odds.

There are 33,745 general tags and 2,650 general youth tags.

Most people  will  not put in with  someone  that has a low point total . As it drags down  the rest of the guys.  For example  myself  and my buddy  have 6 points  for elk . My other  buddies  wife has 9 points  . Then there is his neighbor  who is relatively  new to hunting  only has 3 points  . You add the total  and divide  by the number  of applicants  . So 6+6+9+3=24 ÷4=6 . So for myself  and my buddy  no changes  but for my other buddies  wife it pulls her down . For the new hunter he picked  up 3 in theory.   Works to the new hunters advantage. 

But if you say, 4 guys put in together with only 1 bonus point they are still more likely to draw a tag than someone putting in by themselves that has 2 points.  If any one of the 4 guys draw a tag then they all do.  It seems that their odds would be double that of the guy putting in by himself. At least that is how I see it.