Sign in to follow this  
HorseHunter

Sound Bear Country Advice

This is the best Bear Spray instruction I have seen and below is a funny sign I have seen in Alaska

hikers-take-precautions-grizzly-bear-notice-sign-k2-6418.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I can remember getting emails like that sign in the 80's. Yup I'm old.

Emails in the '80's? I still have copies of jokes that were sent via fax to my place of work in 1990. And yes, the fax paper came in roles. 

You must have been an "early adopter" as I learned about email and the interwebs in 1997ish. Dial up modems and such. I used to read Field and Stream articles while I waited for the computer to log on and the AOL email page to load. Admittedly, tech has never been an interest of mine. 

10 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

Emails in the '80's? I still have copies of jokes that were sent via fax to my place of work in 1990. And yes, the fax paper came in roles. 

You must have been an "early adopter" as I learned about email and the interwebs in 1997ish. Dial up modems and such. I used to read Field and Stream articles while I waited for the computer to log on and the AOL email page to load. Admittedly, tech has never been an interest of mine. 

Anyone else hearing modem sounds reading this? You've got mail...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Anyone else hearing modem sounds reading this? You've got mail...

Yep, that's exactly where I went. As well as "you've got mail".

• Like 1

"Spray over your head and play dead" ... you are going to wish the bear would kill you and get it over with while you are choking and coughing from spraying over your head.  I realize you don't get to plan for the wind in a real-life situation but when I tried out the COSTCO Bear Spray on some pesky Javelina, I accounted for the wind and still had quite the reaction.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Big Tub said:

"Spray over your head and play dead" ... you are going to wish the bear would kill you and get it over with while you are choking and coughing from spraying over your head.  I realize you don't get to plan for the wind in a real-life situation but when I tried out the COSTCO Bear Spray on some pesky Javelina, I accounted for the wind and still had quite the reaction.  

.44 mag bear spray disregards wind 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big Tub said:

BT how many days did it affect your lung capacity?

After a few hours I did not have any issues.  I just had coughing and sneezing.  The javelina were more scared of the noise.  I walked over into the wash where I sprayed several hours later and started coughing again.  I then decided Bear Spray was absolutely the LAST resort.  One old wise cuss taught me that handguns were only used to fight to get to the long guns.  I guess the bear spray is used to get to the handguns before that.

• Haha 1