IA Born

Great Grandpa's WWI Uniform

A while back, Edge posted about finding a dog tag and getting it back to its owner's family.  Tim (Edge) is 1000% a great guy.  I chimed in on the dog tag discussion about having my Great Grandpa's WWI dog tag and full uniform.  Tim asked to see pics, but I had to wait to get into my safe after the keypad died.  Access happened yesterday, so this post is for Tim/Edge!

My Great Grandpa on my mom's side was in WWI and he passed away when I was in 8th grade.  He was 92.  He had 12 kids (that survived, 14 total) with my great grandma.  As everyone was going through stuff, they came across his original dog tag and full uniform.  My great grandma asked what should be done with it.  My grandma knew I was a military history buff at 14 years old, so she grabbed everything and said "I know who will appreciate  this!" and got it to me.  It wasn't until a few years ago when my grandma's sister passed away that I was able to get the original helmet to go with everything.  As promised to Tim/Edge, here are the pics.  Full set of leggings (plus an extra), helmet, oversees cap (dad had a different, nsfw name for those), pants, jacket, and helmet.

1002092142_GGpaSullivanWWIUniform.thumb.jpg.9b2c8aa5eda9b97e2b69d4ee7600b339.jpg

2144613763_GGpaSullivanHelmetInside.thumb.jpg.860843cca624b97df7358c59cc278e06.jpg

165222386_GGpaSullivanDogTag.thumb.jpg.034f6b158679f5d7feba772c1152f7f4.jpg

• Like 26
  • Wow! 7

That's really cool.

My grandfather was in an artillery unit in WWI (His son, my dad, was a B-17 navigator in WWII).   Anyway, I have the wool blanket that my grandfather was issued during his stint in WWI.  It comes with me on any colder-weather camping trips and makes a great supplemental blanket for super cold nights. ;)

S.

• Like 6

Great stuff, brother, thanks for posting these pictures. And that cap still had the same naughty name when I was issued one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Edge said:

Great stuff, brother, thanks for posting these pictures. And that cap still had the same naughty name when I was issued one.

I don't know if that's what it was called in WWI, but dad never beat around the bush on what he called it in Vietnam.

See what I did there??

I love this,  
my grandpa was a. Paratrooper in Normandy, my other grandpa was 

A Marine Corps aviator across the Pacific through Guadalcanal to the Philippines, fought

I fought  thought my way across Iraq,  alt the way to green zone

• Like 5

Haha, naughty cap name confirmed. Probably get sentenced to sensitivity training if you used the hats traditional nickname these days. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Edge said:

Haha, naughty cap name confirmed. Probably get sentenced to sensitivity training if you used the hats traditional nickname these days. 

Well, we'd be in that training together, so it would be fun!!