Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

calling in bucks with does

I was down in 24b hunting some mulies yesterday(until 22 where i hunt coues opens) and glassed up a nice 4x4 with five does. Made a pretty good stalk and at 100 yds. a doe that was down lower stood up. She didn't see me but probably heard me so I decided to let out a little grunt and it was all over. Buck and his girls were leaving fast, they did stop at about 200 yds. and look back for a minute. Any advise? Shouldn't have called, wrong call, stick to coues....... ;)

hello --calls -grunts- bleats don't always work - no explination -another time they may come a running - One tip - i kinda like using is a quail call- not alarming and it's a natural sound for them to hear! It may make the difference on closing a few steps or just relaxing the deer! - Gary

hello --calls -grunts- bleats don't always work - no explination -another time they may come a running - One tip - i kinda like using is a quail call- not alarming and it's a natural sound for them to hear! It may make the difference on closing a few steps or just relaxing the deer! - Gary

wow awesome tip I knew there was a reason i read this site everyday :blink: :blink: ;)

Yesterday I was out hog scouting . I was in the bottom of a big canyon looking for tracks . I got boxed in with all the cat claw and turned around when i did I saw a nice little buck coming my way with his head to the ground . i stood steal and watched the buch walk to 15 yards of me he stoped put his nose to the sky . the wind was in my favor he stood there for a couple minutes turned and left the way he came . I grunted and he stoped and looked my way then started to walk away I grunted again he turned and walked my way stoped at 25 yards and stomped his feet 3 or 4 times walked around the brush then walked away . it was so cool watching him that close

Bruce

I would rather leave my bow at home than my grunt and bleet deer calls. One of the most important tools to hunt wt deer with. Using a deer call for mule deer may be another matter as they just do not respond to calling as wts do. Mule deer do not respond to antler rattling as wt bucks do.

How and when to use them is the key. Why did these deer head out of the area? Hard to tell if the does heard the buck grunt and did not want any part of another buck, and the buck that was with them , just left because they did.

Calling works best with a solo buck.

Have fun and good luck. Paul

I was stalking some mulies in the snow on Sunday and my stalk mocs got packed with snow and were making lots of noise. I decided to pull them off and the velcro alerted one of the deer, so I thought I'd try a "can" bleat. As soon as I did that they snorted and headed for the hills. Sometimes they work and other times they send 'em packing. Knda like predator calls for pigs I guess.

Try a fawn distress call. The does will come and the buck is likely to follow. It is usually best to have a caller though since the does sometimes hang up out of bow range looking and sniffing the wind. I would recommend the caller be 50 yards or so upwind of the shooter. Other times they come a running. The buck is usually at the end of the line. The does normally circle the wind and go uphill of the caller if they are able.

This past weekend we called in a decent 4x4 with about 8 does. The buck stayed back with two fawns but eventually came to the does. We unfortuneatly had the wrong set up and the closest the buck came was 92 yards. Had he come with the does initially it probably would have been about a 50 yard shot and if we had the shooter in the right spot (downwind and uphill) it would likely have been a 20-30 yard shot.

Haven't really tried this with whitetails but it works well with mule deer.

thanks for the tips and stories that is great and awsome you guys share that info. I am new to the site and love it.

The fawn distress really hauls in deer but just does. The buck grunt will get those bucks coming towards you like you dont imagine. Thats from my experience of course.

Whale look at it this way. You are at the bar you have five chicks that are hot for you. They only want you. They are so hot for you. Then some swinging d--- says" what you looking at." Do you fight the dude and possibly lose your ladies or do you just go to the bar next door? I have never been able to call in a Mature Muley when they had does with them. Same with elk. They are not going to leave their harem to fight. Another thing when calling you have to be completely hidden in heavily hunted areas. You realy freak the deer out when they are staring at sneaky, camo, baseball cap dude and suddenly hear doe bleat number one, they are going to run.

Bob

I like reading these types of posts. Great topic. Hope more people reply with their experiences. I am going to try calling for the first time next month.

Whale look at it this way. You are at the bar you have five chicks that are hot for you. They only want you. They are so hot for you. Then some swinging d--- says" what you looking at." Do you fight the dude and possibly lose your ladies or do you just go to the bar next door? I have never been able to call in a Mature Muley when they had does with them. Same with elk. They are not going to leave their harem to fight. Another thing when calling you have to be completely hidden in heavily hunted areas. You realy freak the deer out when they are staring at sneaky, camo, baseball cap dude and suddenly hear doe bleat number one, they are going to run.

Bob

That is exactly my thoughts and experiences. If they got what they want (does) then they are content. I know if I had my mind set on five tails that are hot, nothing is going to get my mind off them.