lionhunter

First buck over 100

I am pretty new to this forum, but thought I would share my buck with the rest of you.

I just returned from my Dec. Coues deer hunt in Southern Arizona. (I have been informed that some members don't like you to list the unit that a buck was harvested in, so let's just say it is pretty close to Mexico) At anyrate; we hunted for 10 days with a 3 day recess for the holidays. We glassed a ton of bucks, but nothing over 100 inches. My best buck todate was 94 inches so I was set on a 100 incher or nothing. We found 8 bucks that scored 92 - 99 ish but I just could not put that extra couple inches on any of them. I think my buddies that were helping me glass were getting a bit peeved that I was passing on some really good bucks, but once again, I had my sights set on a 100 incher or nothing!

On Saturday moring I found the deer I was looking for, but he disapeared about 10 min. after the sun came up. I was temped to hike up the canyon and try to find him bedded, but decided against it in fear of blowing him out of there for good... Long story short on Monday morning we glassed him up again in the exact same spot he was feeding in on Saturday. This time I waisted no time starting my stalk! We was about a mile from us and feeding in some occatillos. I ran across a series of drainages, and started up hill. After what seemed like a lifetime I thought I was in possition to top out and find him. Three times I topped over the finger I was on to try to find him. Three times I was looking at what appeared to by the occatillos he was feeding in, but It did not look just the same, so I would back out and climb higher up the finger.

They say (who ever "they" are) that three times is a charm, and it was. The third time I topped over the finger I knew that it was now or never because I was at the top of the knob I was climbing. I topped of the finger again and sat in some tall grass for cover. It took about 30 seconds of glassing off my shooting sticks to find him! He was bedded 148 yards across the canyon behind some occatillos. All I could see of him was his RACK, his face, and a small portion of his neck! After months of practicing at 3,4, and 5 hundred with my rifles, (and buying a new rifle a month before the hunt, but that is a whole other story), my 10 day hunt, and search for my first 100 inch buck was completed with one 148 yard shot across a small canyon. I was forced to shoot the buck in the neck, but it worked out well.

The buck gross scores 105, and I could not be happier. ( Well, maybe with a 115,but that will have to wait for next year; I hope.....

Thanks for reading.

Whitey

post-2950-1230700005_thumb.jpg

post-2950-1230700157_thumb.jpg

post-2950-1230700233_thumb.jpg

Awesome buck! Congrats and thanks for sharin' it with us! JIM>

Are you sure he only scores 105?! Looks bigger.

I have noticed a lot of people posting unit numbers, dont let others

persuade you not too!

Great story and way to hold out!

Jeff

Wow very nice buck!! Congratulations. You found him on a Saturday and then found him again on a Monday man what a hunt, I know the feeling! again congrats.

Looking at the time on the pictures and the position of the sun you were hunting on the area called .................in unit ...................... Yea I better not say anything or some others will get mad :D Happy new year!

Ernesto C

Great Buck!!! Hey, I REALLY hate to ask this but could you give me nod if it was 36C? I hunted a buck this year and couldn't kill him that is so scary close to everything you said and background. I would really appreciate the confirmation either way, so I could scratch him off my list and most importantly put him out of my head for the next 11 months!!!

Thanks so much!!!