Sign in to follow this  
creed

shuttin 'em down

9 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

So what are we talking about then?

i don’t think any desert units were closed from the quota last year except maybe 33 muley but it probably wasn’t closed either 

They shut 42 down in one of the best big buck ruts I have seen in a long time.

4 minutes ago, creed said:

They shut 42 down in one of the best big buck ruts I have seen in a long time.

Not in august. Dude said shut down in august. But I’m dropping this now because this is giving me a headache 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Not in august. Dude said shut down in august. But I’m dropping this now because this is giving me a headache 

I don't hunt the 40's. Doesn't matter really what unit though. Each year these units are closing earlier. Eventually they will have to go to a draw. Personally I'd like to see it like Utah where there is a limited entry BP for deer and a general BP for deer. A December or January archery hunt would be great with a limited number of people. This OTC thing isn't like it used to be.

8 hours ago, AZcoues_addict said:

Not sure this solves anything, but it results in less hunter opportunity.  The harvest is already limited, so it doesn't reduce take by much.  This just means less people in the woods, and less income for AZGFD due to reduced sales.  I've bought an archery tag and rifle tags for many years, but can only take 1 deer.  Meaning the rifle tag is trash and a donation if I harvest during archery.

This system is to control the harvest... not opportunity. When a quota is met, the opportunity is gone in that unit. They are saying too much oportunity kills too many deer. IMO having two deer tags and hunting four seasons is way too much opportunity. Ed F

15 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Put the whole thing as a draw. A few of the desert units we used to hunt in Dec/Jan never make it to that because it closes in August every year. Those hunts are essentially eliminated.

11 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

I don't hunt the 40's. Doesn't matter really what unit though. Each year these units are closing earlier.

What desert units were closed in august that you couldn’t hunt in December? Im not aware of any 

Last thing I want is a draw for archery.  Most all the Coues archery hunts don't come close to hitting the quota.  People are pissed that they don't get to chase muleys in the rut and I get it, kind of sucks.  But a few years of this is really going to help the mule deer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

What desert units were closed in august that you couldn’t hunt in December? Im not aware of any 

Theres several. I'm not gunna post that on here. It's mostly the units with a 5 mule deer limit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Last thing I want is a draw for archery.  Most all the Coues archery hunts don't come close to hitting the quota.  People are pissed that they don't get to chase muleys in the rut and I get it, kind of sucks.  But a few years of this is really going to help the mule deer.

It will help quality IMO but I am not sure how much it will affect overall numbers. One buck can breed a bunch of does.  Guess time will tell.

If they would cut out the Dec hunts and slide it into Jan like the 45 units it would let bitchers like me hunt the rut without going to a draw.  I don't think that is going to happen. I guess I should be thankful to still be able to hunt with what time is available.

I think they should split the quota, if a unit has 40 mule deer, then 20 early and 20 rut.  If the 20 early don’t get filled, it rolls over to the rut.  

I think the quota is working.  There is probably a bumper crop of spikes and forks due to the good monsoon and winter rainslast year. It should pay off eventually with larger numbers of deer .  

and, if the mule deer quota gets filled, just hunt whitetail.  Problem solved.