Sign in to follow this  
Moondizzle

Need your piano tuned?

6 hours ago, Roofer Billy said:

If you can't tune a piano. You can tuna fish.

And you can't take a shower in a parakeet cage...

3 hours ago, Moondizzle said:

$100 valley wide and if you live outside the valley we can talk price

Tuning a standard piano is fairly complex and the stated price is very reasonable, really on the low end. Most standard pianos take  approximately two hours or more to tune plus his drive time and years of experience.

Whole Bass keys/notes (A1 to A#2 (Bb2), the first lower fourteen on most pianos, only have one string while the following 14 strings,B2 to C3, have two, and the remaining 60 keys,C#3 (Db3) to C8, have three strings each, with A7 to C8 being very hard to hear and distinguish. That's a total of 222 piano strings! (Unless my math is off)

While I only started to learn to play the piano two and a half years ago, like most everything I get involved with, I've learned a fair amount about piano tuning and the mechanics of pianos.

I will never be a professional piano tuner and my hat is off to those who are good at it. The same holds for Collaborative Pianists. I've gained a deep respect for those who tune pianos well and they earn every "cent", especially when a piano is more than ten to twenty cents out of tune.

Best wishes and my greatest respect.

• Like 2

I was gifted a piano recently but the cost of tuning and joy of moving it made me procrastinate. 

Rethinking this, thanks.

24 minutes ago, Edge said:

I was gifted a piano recently but the cost of tuning and joy of moving it made me procrastinate. 

Rethinking this, thanks.

Same. I have a piano that works well, but a few keys are noticiably off. I've just been dragging my feet. 

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Rethinking this, thanks.

I started learning two and a half years ago, and I'm over 60. Spend 15 minutes twice a day, we waste more time than that, and after some frustration with muscle memory, you will gain a joy and start to feel a freedom that's very unique and special. I'm starting to be able to read Bass and Treble clefts almost at the same time, although slowly. 

I promise it is worth the cost and effort. My piano gets tuned once a year minimum, but I try for twice. My daughter got a piano recently and I pay for hers as well.

Good electric pianos don't require tuning but there is no substitute for the sound of a real piano.

Every piano's keys feel differently. Some are stiffer, harder to press, while some are more narrow.

Practice, practice, practice makes the difference. Everytime I pass by my piano I try to play one of my current, easy songs.

You started something great. Don't stop and have regrets later. Overall, pianos are one of the cheapest "hobbies" out there.

Good luck! Hang in there. It's worth it! And so are you.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boarman03 said:

Tuning a standard piano is fairly complex and the stated price is very reasonable, really on the low end. Most standard pianos take  approximately two hours or more to tune plus his drive time and years of experience.

Whole Bass keys/notes (A1 to A#2 (Bb2), the first lower fourteen on most pianos, only have one string while the following 14 strings,B2 to C3, have two, and the remaining 60 keys,C#3 (Db3) to C8, have three strings each, with A7 to C8 being very hard to hear and distinguish. That's a total of 222 piano strings! (Unless my math is off)

While I only started to learn to play the piano two and a half years ago, like most everything I get involved with, I've learned a fair amount about piano tuning and the mechanics of pianos.

I will never be a professional piano tuner and my hat is off to those who are good at it. The same holds for Collaborative Pianists. I've gained a deep respect for those who tune pianos well and they earn every "cent", especially when a piano is more than ten to twenty cents out of tune.

Best wishes and my greatest respect.

I am on the low end. I only did a 2 year apprenticeship under Pete Coleman. So I don’t feel worthy to charge the typical $250 and up that his. Wish I would have stuck with it when I was younger but life called and I had to focus on supporting my family. So now I tune pianos as a side gig that my time allows for it more. Pete told me I could charge up to $175 for my skill level and that I could advertise on my own as it wouldn’t conflict with his customer base. So here I am!