Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Hunting for Harlequins

Last year’s Mearns quail season ended with a great hunt with Art/SitkaDeer, but the birds failed to cooperate as well as the weather and company. As a result, new Mearns country was sought out that would hold numerous coveys of these beautifully plumed gamebirds. The truck was turned up an oak-lined canyon near the Mexican border that looked like favorable habitat.

CopyofMearnsDec2008016.jpg

Camp was chosen, but feathers on the ground and numerous canine land mines told that the spot had been home to previous bird hunters.

Rica, my GWP, and I awoke to the idea that the draw behind camp would likely harbor scattered birds due to the previous hunters, but heck, we were here. A few seeps provided moisture for the bottomland and its creatures. At the end of a short 90 minute hike up the draw, Rica’s nose had sniffed out a handful of small coveys and 7 quail laden the vest. While most bids were immature males, one beautiful Clown Quail blessed the gamebag.

CopyofMearnsDec2008030.jpg

With the days hunt ended and a satisfied feeling, we hiked up to the top of the ridge opposite camp to view the surrounding country in the late afternoon.

CopyofMearnsDec2008136.jpg

While up on top taking photographs, Rica became birdy and struck a pose with 10 Mearns eventually flushing ahead of her schnazz.

CopyofMearnsDec2008048.jpg

Tomorrow’s destination had been decided as we walked back down to camp for the evening meal.

After the morning frost thawed and the chill abated, the canyon beyond the ridge drew the presence of Vibrams and paws. Rica found the covey feeding on the slopes at the head of a side draw.

CopyofMearnsDec2008050.jpg

A few more draws were traversed before heading back to camp with the weight of a 7 Mearns tugging on the vest’s rear bag. A few would become tablefare by being wrapped in bacon and placed on the grill.

CopyofMearnsDec2008068.jpg

The following day, the next draw behind camp was hunted. We sashayed up towards 2 tanks and some finger draws leading to them. They held some small groups that donated some members to the evening meal.

CopyofMearnsDec2008112.jpg

“Hurry, put down that camera and grab the shotgun for these quail in front of me”

CopyofMearnsDec2008103.jpg

Life is fine when the hike back to camp and lunch has a limit of 8 Mearns. Even finer when two other large coveys are located and a nice Coues buck and a doe jump from their beds beneath a rock outcropping.

On New Years Day, Sundevil and BlackDog came out to give Rica some extra shooters. Guess the quail heard we were coming and hid their scent, as the previous three days of plentitude had abated some.

BlackDog waits for Rica to water in pool of runoff.

CopyofMearnsDec2008109.jpg

Still, the three of us ended the 4 hour hunt with several birds. We headed back for lunch of “food”

CopyofMearnsDec2008114.jpg

And “better food”

CopyofMearnsDec2008115.jpg

As Rica was physically spent after 4 days, BlackDog and his lab headed across the creekbed and scoured up three more birds to shoot at.

Friday was a day of rest and recovery for Rica, as Sundevil would be returning Saturday with Scout’m. The only shooting was done with the Nikon before an evening was spent around the campfire enjoying the company of some hunters from California.

The last day of the hunt had the three of us, with Rica and Abbey (Scout’ms German shorthair) out front in search of birds.

CopyofMearnsDec2008126.jpg

The birds hid well, and only a few scattered birds were flushed. I did manage to drop 4 birds with 2 shots on one covey flush. Seeps and pockets of water provided needed coolant for the dogs.

CopyofMearnsDec2008127.jpg

While the success alluded to the predictions of a stellar Mearns season this year due to two years of good summer rains, the area we hunted seemed to be popular with many other hunters. One day saw 6 other bird hunters close to camp one day and 5 the next. Perhaps the next trip will have the moon setting on another new promised land.

CopyofMearnsDec2008065.jpg

Doug~RR

Very nice Doug!! Great pics. I like the one with the moon and the two planets. I was driving home one night and thought, wow that would make a neat photo. Glad someone got it!

Amanda

Awesome Doug! I wish I would have gotten your message sooner, I could've met up with ya! Looks like an awesome time, hopefully I can make the next trip! JIM>

Great post as always Doug! It was a pleasure meeting you.....my wife says sorry for the mess.

Looks like you all had a great time and thats what it is all about. Thanks for posting. Great pics. ;)

Looks like you had a great time. I wish I had killed a pig already so I could focus on them quail some more. I'll try a few more days then its back to mearns for me.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'm headed that way tomorrow after dropping my daughter off at PreK. I'll be there until Saturday.

Looks like good weather ahead

Bill