Awesome job on the recovery! Persistence is the key when the going gets tough.

Great buck and congratulations on finding him! I'm glad you stayed with it!

I think the simple lesson learned is that hunting at that distance is not the same as shooting. Nothing is guaranteed in hunting, not even a 10 yard shot, the same think could have happened. However, its much more likely at long range than up close. What we think is a perfect shot can be misleading, and we just need to keep at it and do our best to do what's right for wounded game.

Let me tell you, that I am very confident I can shoot with your buddies at any range. I used to think the same way, and practiced up to 130 yards. I could almost always keep all of my shots within the 4 outer black dots on my Block at that range, and very often times drill 3 inch groups at 100. At first it was to make my 50 yard shots seem like a piece of cake. Then it turned into making excuses why I couldn't stalk within 70 yards of game. So I drilled a huge buck at 70, and my confidence and head got really big quick. I thought I could do it every year.

Then I never found a big buck I hit at long range. I thought it was good shot, but it obviously isn't ever as good as we think, else the buck will be down within a couple hundred yards as stated. Since then I have passed many 60, 70 and 80 yard shots that I would have made. I will still shoot at these distances just not every time, and now I'm much more patient and try to stalk the extra 20 or 30 yards because its a challenge! I feel more like an archer the closer I get, not because I kill game with my bow. I finally shot my best buck at 40 yards this year, and it was with patience. I got within 100, and waited. It was the best choice I have ever made. Its not for everyone, and I'm not trying to force my ethics on anyone, just maybe one day you might end up with a different feeling about hunting and long range archery like I have.

;) Way to go brother...thats one STUD couesy..way to stick it out from begining to END....

" TO crbn4runner WITH OUT YOU DUDE I WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT HIM!"

much props to you crbn4runner, get'n out there and help'in him out....!

oh yeah, love the vipers you sold me a couple of month's ago, thank's for putting them aside for me!

hello - - One thing to keep in mind is the animal - these are awesume creatures= from a spike to a monster toad - How one decides to Hunt or Kill has been a question, as we've noticed during this post- Everyone should agree on at least one point -- Making a good shot!! Resulting in a quick end! Anything less is unacceptable, these animals we hunt do not deserve to suffer!

We all need to decide if we want to be Hunters or Killers !

I'm not trying to insult or belittle anyone here!

ADAM, I'm glad you have your buck!

my last .02 on this post

Gary

Adam

Congratulations on sticking with it and finding your deer! That is dedication my friend and something you should be proud of. I'm not going to comment on your original shot. I think there are plenty of comments already and I'm sure you beat yourself up enough between the time you first shot him and the time you finally put your tag on him.

One thing I will comment on, is the choice of broadheads. I honestly believe that a COC fixed blade broadhead is the best choice. I personally like the 3 blade design of the Snuffer SS. The Montec and Hellrazor are also very similar style broadheads. They are extremely tough, shoot very well out of well tuned gear, and when razor sharp will cut plenty.

That is a great buck man, enjoy!

Nick

Hey congrats on the buck - that was a sweet story and interesting to read.

Looks like that cape might be bad if your gonna mount him which i imagine you probably will. If it is too bad to repair contact me. I caped out my buck i just shot thinking that might dad might want it. Go figure he doesnt need it, So if you want it let me know.

good job

Congrats again

Congrats on a great buck with your bow!

I'll be the one to be unpopular and call bullsh*t. It's a different deer. The deer is repositioned in nearly every picture and not one is a conventional pose. I especially love the behind the log photo. Convenient how there are no shots of the old wound and you can't see an arrow sticking out or dried blood or anything.

Why not just admit you shot another deer and accept the due congratulations. It is a fine buck with lots of mass and character.

Flame on. I know all of you naive long shooters believe the story.

you know what dude i will be more then happy to give you my taxidermists number so you can go do an autopsy report your self. and then you can take all the pics you want and post them on here to show everyone the cape of this deer where the 1st shot was. why do have have to keep on trying to bring me down... what did i ever do??? i came on here talking about broadheads, and you just post up how bad of a person i am for everything. do you feel bigger and better because you can type how i suck at hunting and everything i did wrong? just because im not YOU AKA "GOD" doesnt give you the right to call bullsh*t on me. go look down on someone else because im sick of it. flame on!

adam

I'll be the one to be unpopular and call bullsh*t. It's a different deer. The deer is repositioned in nearly every picture and not one is a conventional pose. I especially love the behind the log photo. Convenient how there are no shots of the old wound and you can't see an arrow sticking out or dried blood or anything.

Why not just admit you shot another deer and accept the due congratulations. It is a fine buck with lots of mass and character.

Flame on. I know all of you naive long shooters believe the story.

i am sure in more ways than one , you have been told what the word assume means!!! have you ever seen how an animal takes cares of a wound? ignorance is not an excuse, but in your case its sounds like the only excuse. in case you have'nt been following along, the broadhead never opened up. the broadhead that was shot, would not let the air out of a basketball, unless it opened. to find a deer that was shot four days prior takes alot of time and effort, we appricaite the offers for help, and support, from most of you. when we found the deer it was all about high fives, pictures video tape, probably like when you shot your first deer with a bow, probably was'nt a whitie especially of this caliber. we were'nt concerned about photos to please haters like you. take off your camo skirt, lift your leg every now and then, and flame on lol!!!

QUOTE (mr.smith @ Jan 9 2009, 04:59 PM)

Flame on. I know all of you naive long shooters believe the story

WELL SAID ROSSOUTDOORS05 !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BY THE WAY......... CONGRATS ON A DARN BEAUTIFUL DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know what dude i will be more then happy to give you my taxidermists number so you can go do an autopsy report your self. and then you can take all the pics you want and post them on here to show everyone the cape of this deer where the 1st shot was. why do have have to keep on trying to bring me down... what did i ever do??? i came on here talking about broadheads, and you just post up how bad of a person i am for everything. do you feel bigger and better because you can type how i suck at hunting and everything i did wrong? just because im not YOU AKA "GOD" doesnt give you the right to call bullsh*t on me. go look down on someone else because im sick of it. flame on!

adam

Never said you were a bad person nor did I say I was God. In fact I even said "I really hope he finds this deer" and "...due congratulations. It is a fine buck with lots of mass and character". I gave my analysis of the situation based on what was presented. I think you made a bad decision but that doesn't neccesarily make you a bad person. I stated my opinion, You don't have to agree with it, like it or even care about it. It was mentioned earlier; opinions are like A-holes everyones got one and they all stink. I sincerely hope you learned from this ordeal and that it makes you a better hunter.

"MOST" of them stink. I know some people who think theirs don't stink. :lol: