Sign in to follow this  
azpackhorse

09 started off very good!

The new year started off like usual for me. I had a archery Javelina tag and a archery deer tag in my pocket so a couple of buddies and I headed down South to camp out and hunt.

Thursday was slow, it was a little warm and not much moving where we were. We decided to try a different area the next day.

Right off the bat in the morning we glassed two Mule deer bucks and a gob of does, the bucks were rutting hard and we even watched a smaller buck and a 170ish 4x4 square off.

We made our plans and away we went to try and stalk in on these bucks.

I went down low through a wash while my buddies took different routes. As I got close to where I thought the bucks would be the wind changed. I decided to back out not wanting to possibly ruin one of my buddies stalks with my wind blowing in the direction of the bucks.

On my way back to the truck I glanced up and noticed some movement about 150 yards away, it was the bucks! They had moved down the hill towards me, I snuck in as far as I felt comfortable with and waited. The big 4x4 took his does and moved North of me :( I then caught some more movement and here comes 3 does with the smaller buck, oh my gosh they were heading right for me! Holy crap! My heart is now pounding so hard it is difficult to hear anything, I settle down a little, ranged the spot I thought they would cross......33 yards! The deer obviously read my script because they were on a string to my "spot"

A doe crosses and stops, she glares right at me and I thought for sure it was over. I stood motionless while my insides were coming unglued! She decided that I was nothing! You got to be kidding me! No way!

Two more does pass through my spot........then i see antlers coming.....my knees are on the verge of giving out by now. I try my best to gather myself, I know it's gonna be do or die in a couple of seconds. He walks into the "spot" I find my pin..........pick the spot...........squeeeeeze the release and the arrow blasts off like a rocket! It is now slow motion! I see my Lumeknock dissappear into the bucks ribs!

That's it! my legs could take no more! they turn to jello and I sit down!

I waited for my buddy to show up and we track the buck, he went around 200 yards and piled!

No Coues for me in 2009 :( :rolleyes:

09success002.jpg

The next day I whacked a big boar Javelina! Head on while he was running uphill towards me!

09success010.jpg

My buddy Scott and I took both our boars within a couple of minutes of each other. It was cool to watch him shoot his then he watched me shoot mine!

P1010745.jpg

It was a good weekend!!

Brian,

Congrats on your archery buck. Bet those quivering knees will be worth remembering though come application time (don't forget to apply for a bonus point).

Doug

Wow that is awesome! What a start to the new year! A huge congrats to you buddy on a great trip. I'm sure there will be plenty of friends to help out in 09 on some coues hunts. Nice buck and pig with the bow!

Phil

Nice job Brian and Lester! Now, once mine gets here lets go get another one!

We tried that before Casey. Will you get out of the truck this time?

Nice job Brian and Lester! Now, once mine gets here lets go get another one!

We tried that before Casey. Will you get out of the truck this time?

If you guys dont go around scarin all the pigs and tryin to shoot a small mule deer :D

And remember, I was not alone at the truck ;)

congrats on a great year thus far

Thanks for all of the congrats guys!

Amanda,

you are right, there will be plenty of hunts for me to go on this year!

Casey,

............................yer a dork!