Sign in to follow this  
campmeat

Blood tracking dogs

I have a good buddy of my who shot a good bull yesterday evening , he found really good blood and a bed of his that was filled with blood. Found blood up to 200 yards past his bed and it’s dried up.

This a good bull and my buddy has hunted the whole hunt and doesn’t want to lose this bull. Would anyone know of any tracking dogs in in the Sholow/ Pinetop  area? 

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3328.jpeg

Update: 

this was found 100 yards past the last blood , in the exact direction the bull was headed.My buddy said there was another hunter in there when he was walking out to let the bull die after shooting him and  wait a bit and he asked if he’d shot anything… my buddy told the guy they shot a bull and the guy described the bull. 

This is a really crappy situation and really unfortunate. Whoever got his bull I’m sure takes pride in how hard they hunted for it. Psshhhhh.

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

• Wow! 2

Next year my Airedale and I will be ready to take on this task. She could probably do it this year but I'm not comfortable in taking time off from work with her lack of experience so far

• Love 1

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

That's too bad. How far was the gut pile from where he encountered the other hunter?

I’m not a hundred percent sure. I was told that this other hunter was hunting the same area and was seen driving in as they were driving out last night . They had small altercation about the area and tank my buddy was hunting a few day prior. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Next year my Airedale and I will be ready to take on this task. She could probably do it this year but I'm not comfortable in taking time off from work with her lack of experience so far

That would be amazing ! I did a bunch of research and only a few that track.

Shes a tracking machine. Needs more experience before I put her in the ground with someone's trophy on the line, but she is nose to the ground all the way. 

• Like 1

If it was me and I was going to use a dog to blood trail any big game animal other than mountain lion or bear and that's only if bear and lion is open, I would leave weapons at camp. If I was to wound an animal on the last day of the hunt, I would notify AZGFD if i was going to try and recover animal after the season closes. 

• Like 2

I would be furious... can't imagine why someone would even want a bull they did not shoot.  Is it possible it was not a kill shot and the other hunter finished him off? Any other blood spot that would indicate this as a possibility?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I would be furious... can't imagine why someone would even want a bull they did not shoot.  Is it possible it was not a kill shot and the other hunter finished him off? Any other blood spot that would indicate this as a possibility?

Unfortunately that does happen. In highly congested areas an animal may take a less than lethal shot and go hundreds of yards while the hunter patiently waits before pursuing it as to not push it. During that time another hunter may encounter it and make the final kill shot and legally tag it.

As far as tracking goes I am pretty certain that a hunter cannot track a wounded animal with a dog in AZ. There are about a dozen States where deer can be hunted with dogs and in those cases you can use a dog to track them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Unfortunately that does happen. In highly congested areas an animal may take a less than lethal shot and go hundreds of yards while the hunter patiently waits before pursuing it as to not push it. During that time another hunter may encounter it and make the final kill shot and legally tag it.

As far as tracking goes I am pretty certain that a hunter cannot track a wounded animal with a dog in AZ. There are about a dozen States where deer can be hunted with dogs and in those cases you can use a dog to track them.

Yeah that's pretty much the only scenario that wouldn't totally piss me off.  Although I doubt that's the case here.  Takes a real turd to go and knowingly tag someone else's bull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah that's pretty much the only scenario that wouldn't totally piss me off.  Although I doubt that's the case here.  Takes a real turd to go and knowingly tag someone else's bull.

Kevin we will probably never know.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:40 AM, campmeat said:

Update: 

this was found 100 yards past the last blood , in the exact direction the bull was headed.My buddy said there was another hunter in there when he was walking out to let the bull die after shooting him and  wait a bit and he asked if he’d shot anything… my buddy told the guy they shot a bull and the guy described the bull. 

This is a really crappy situation and really unfortunate. Whoever got his bull I’m sure takes pride in how hard they hunted for it. Psshhhhh.

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

How were they able to get in gut and haul the bull out whole without your friend knowing? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 654321 said:

If it was me and I was going to use a dog to blood trail any big game animal other than mountain lion or bear and that's only if bear and lion is open, I would leave weapons at camp. If I was to wound an animal on the last day of the hunt, I would notify AZGFD if i was going to try and recover animal after the season closes. 

All weapons were left in camp. While trying to recover the bull