Sign in to follow this  
mr.smith

Felicia's Dec 08 buck

Well my wife shot a bigger buck than me again. This year we were lucky enough to draw another December tag. I was holding out for a big one and Felicia just wanted to put some meat in the freezer. The hunt was a little harder this time around. Last year we were in 33 with good deer densities and somewhat easier terrain. This year it was 21 and we were hunting some steep stuff. I hit a stud 3x3 early in the season and despite an exhaustive effort could not catch up to him again. I'm sure he is still running around out there, hopefully I can catch up to him this month with my bow.

As the season progressed we had a number of stalks that just didn't work out and a couple missed shots. Finally on Dec 27th we were able to put it together. I had decided that I was pretty much done unless the chance for a double should arise. And it did. We were closing the distance on a 3x chasing does, we got to about 320yds when Felicia first shot. The deer must have stepped forward on the shot as it hit him in the kidney area. He then trotted up the hill a bit where he was joined by a small two point. The three pt quickly bedded and the little buck trotted up the hill. We moved in on the bigger buck to about 150yds where Felicia smoked him with a shot to the neck. So we go down to the deer and start taking pics and dressing him. A couple minutes later JLG comes on the radio saying that the little buck is bedded within 150yds of where we are dressing this deer. Sounds like natural selection at work to me. I had no shot from where I was so I actually had to get farther away to gain some elevation to be able to see the deer. A single 300yd shot and he was down in place. So now we are two for two for two years in a row. It would be nice to score Dec wt tags a third year in a row but I really want to find that other buck with my bow this month. We'll see. I want to thank Dave, John, Ron, and Dan for their help. Packing out two at once is a lot easier when you have lots of people.

Felicia and her buck

014.JPG

The double

043.JPG

Group photo

025_910441.JPG

Consolation prize

037.JPG

Thanks all!

Amanda I emailed you a pic, please let me know if you get it.

anybody else seeing red x's?

scott

The pics are hosted on AZSJ. I don't think you have to be a member over there to see them. Hmmm :huh:

Great job folks congrads

Congrats on the double! I know what it is like to get beat by your wife it has happened to me the last 6 yrs till this year and I couldn't be HAPPIER to be losing to my wife and best hunting partner out there!!!!!!!!!!!

once again congrats!

Great job! Glad you got to hunt with the wife, and to score a double is even sweeter.

Bret