Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Hunting techniques

As a kid I was taught by my dad to slow walk, stop, look, listen and slow walk again with the hope that I might encounter a buck!

My first buck was shot off hand, with a lever action, open sight, 30-30, maybe 30 yards in open grass hillside bootheel New Mexico! I’m positive my brother,  who was walking parallel to me on the same grassy slow roll ridge, had kicked the buck up!

The little two point mule deer never saw me and I shot him right under his ear! 

I have never shot a deer or elk that I “glassed” up!

This season a week ago my grandson, 300 yards, buck glassed up by his uncle, rifle in a clamp!

IMG_7663.jpeg.16e4ec5880e3f17542ac6976f6228f65.jpeg

My son this morning, 300 yards, buck glassed up, solo hunt!

IMG_1501.thumb.jpeg.9c18b6d1f840290cbd650af6c384d750.jpeg

I own a pair of binoculars now, and I love using them to scour a hillside looking for game! I personally don’t think I’ve ever shot at anything further than 200 yards and I’m not nearly as accomplished as a hunter as many on CWT! But……. I still enjoy the slow walk, stop look and listen approach and feel blessed that while I’m slower at walking than I used to be I can still get out there and hunt!

• Like 12

I grew up in Idaho hunting the same way. We used to walk along ridges and slowly look over the cuts to see what was below.  Lots of offhand shots.  We would even throw rocks down into them if they were thick.  Mulies would pop out the other side and stop to see what caused the commotion giving us shots. I didn't start glassing until I started hunting coues deer.

• Like 3

Congrats to him. I started hunting as a teen back east where it was too thick for binoculars. I move here in 77 and "glassing" never really caught on until about 1990.

• Like 1

I started archery hunting with a stick bow in NE Indiana in my teens. We mostly sat tree stands...stick built, no safety harness, no binos. Moved to AZ when I was 20. Just snuck around the hills...search and destroy method, with Bushnell binos around my neck. I did manage to take a few small bucks with my 30-30. Finally got good optics and learned the patience of glassing about 25 years ago. My favorite method now.

Congrats! Nice bucks!

• Like 2

I used to hunt coues the same way many years ago and love it. I still hunt javalina with bow or rifle the same way. But hunting coues that way, lots of times I was almost steping into bucks, they will take off running and I was shooting off hand and several times taking running shots and at times not taking a shot at all cause the buck did not ran uphill. There came the time where I said, I want a bigger buck, that decision opened another world of possibilities because I had to get tripod, binoculars etc, learn how to glass and learn how to shoot far. Love both tecniques! 

Congrats to your son and grandson! Great hunt!

Ernesto C.

• Like 5

It was 1995 my first deer hunt and couse hunt.  My uncle who lived down south hunted couse his whole life.  He said just hike here and use your binos.  It was really boring as a teen.  Until we started finding deer 700 yards out and putting on a stalk.  I don't have found memories of my grandpa 12lb 30-06, 4x scope, LEATHER STRAPS, And old NECK SUPPORT for you binos digging into your neck. 

• Like 2