Cowzhunter

NL Pure 12x42 for coues

I love mine, I’ve sat next to countless buddies that have 15s and never once have they been able to see an animal or detail that I don’t see.

• Like 1

I haven’t used the nls… but I used 12s alone for years. To me, you can’t beat the 15s and 8 or 10s combo for versatility. No 12s I’ve used can challenge 15s for finding coues, and these nothing better then having my 8x32s in a harness when stalking coues with a bow. 12s are just tough to steadily hold one handed when I’m looking for that buck I know is somewhere 30-40 yards in front of me in the brush etc. 

however, it’d be great to only have to carry one pair, and I had a lot of success with only 12s. The versatility just isn’t there, for me, as my hunting has evolved. Especially when stalking with a bow.Those nls are supposed to be dang nice though, and in most scenarios I’m sure they’d be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

They are nice. I haven't put them side by side with my 10's or 15's. I used them last year on my Elk hunt and wished I had my 15's on a few occasions. I had 8.5's for many many years and thought I needed more power so when a pair of 10's came up for sale I bought them then sent them in for a once over.

When they came back I sold the 8.5's and found the 10's were harder to hold steady. If I had to choose two pair I would choose 8.5's and 15's.

Almost everyone I know that had 15s sold them to get 12x's.  AND that was before the NL's came out, the NL's are much better than the 12 ELs also.

12's and a spotter are the only way to go for Coues.  Even the best 15's are lacking compared to the quality of the 12 nls.  

Even as a bowhunter the 12nls are just fine. I like to be as light as possible so 8s or 10s would be a little better for archery but not enough to get rid of my 12nls

• Like 1

I have the 10 and 12 NL's. I prefer the 10's. If you glass under 500 yards much the 12 are pretty powerful, a little too much for the close stuff. Long distance stuff the 12's have the advantage. I like carrying the 10 NL and a 60mm spotter for closer looks at headgear. 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Couldn't disagree more about the 12s being too much for under 500. The FOV they have is incredible!

Ya the NL's do have a large FOV. What's the 10vs 12 FOV?

Looked it up:

12x42 NL 339ft at 1000 yards

10x42 NL 399ft at 1000 yards

Both are excellent and you cant go wrong. Personal preference really. I'm in the minority liking the 10's but thats what works for me looking through both.