Sign in to follow this  
RockyMtnOyster

Coues success

I had 6 bonus points for deer and was drawn for a December coues tag as my second choice this year...SWEET! The final three days of the season was when the action started to happen. It was the last three days of the season, so it was do or die to get one. Three separate storms pounded the area the week before and the ground was soggy, with water everywhere. Monday morning finds me glassing a big open area that looks like a great place for a big coues buck to be. I see a bunch of does, and some smaller bucks, but nothing that I wanted to tag out on. About 11 am I was driving over to glass another ridge and got stuck. The rest of the day I spent trying fruitlessly to get myelf unstuck. Night comes and I am still stuck. I walk 3 hours back to camp, call my brother who gets a friend with a bigger truck to come pull me out. 12:30 am and I finally get back to camp with my truck after a buddy drives over from Mesa to pull me out (good thing for good friends) What a long day.

post-2313-1231472656_thumb.jpg

Alarm goes off 5:30 am and I didn't feel like getting my butt out of bed, but I did. Tuesday morning is quiet, but I see a bomber buck about noon. Glassed him up about 1300 yards off two ridges away. This buck would go book for sure. After stalking up and around a very large ridge that took me two hours to get into position, the closest I could get to this buck was still too far to shoot. I had few other options as light was fading quickly. I knew it was now or never. I was on a ridgetop directly across from him. I ranged him, setup my rifle with a solid rest and squeezed the trigger....BOOM. Deer casual walks over the ridge and out of my life. Hearbreak hotel. I missed him. I was lobbing a Doug Floutie Hail Mary out there and my prayer was not answered. This buck had a nice dropper on the right side and tine length the likes of which I had never seen out of any buck on the hoof. He literally took my breathe away. It honestly hurts thinking about him.

Wednesday morning I'm up earlier determined to be glassing the ridge with the big buck at first light in hopes of finding him again. 10 am rolls around and I hadn't seen the big one, but I did see a good 3X3, nothing huge, but a respectable coues buck. He was heading to his bedding grounds and I knew it was now or never ( Being last day of the season). After figuring I wasn't going to see the big one, I decided to take a crack at the 3x3. I moved into position, ranged him, loaded a shell in and set the cross hairs on him. I yelled out a loud grunt, he stopped and looked my direction broadside. I squeezed the trigger and KAPLOW, the buck went down like a ton of bricks. I'm very happy with him, he was a little better buck than i thought he would be. I guess after looking a true trophy, everything else seemed small. I rough scored him at 85. I am very happy to have taken this buck, it was such a fun hunt.

post-2313-1231472741_thumb.jpg

Take 'er easy and good luck on your hunts in 09!

Wow that's a nice buck! I think getting stuck was worth it isn't? :) Congratulations.

Ernesto C

Nice buck Rocky, especially for your first one! That sure was nice of your brother to drive out there & pull you out.

Nice buck! great story! 1st one? your gonna get spoiled!

Bret

Nice buck and great story to go with it! Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us.

Phil

Very nice buck congratulations.

--Bill