Sign in to follow this  
zslayer

2023 October Hunts

Terrible for me. Hunted all my usual spots in 36B and turned up only one small buck. I did see two very large bobcats though. 

How’s the water and vegetation looking this year?  I’d imagine not nearly as overgrown and the past two years?  Not as much water?   

1 hour ago, zslayer said:

How’s the water and vegetation looking this year?  I’d imagine not nearly as overgrown and the past two years?  Not as much water?   

Driest year in decades.

• Sad 1

Went to one of my favorite spots that I knew burned  up this summer. Was hoping to see some vegetation growth from the (weak) summer rains.... looked like the moon. There was still deer there but we didn't see any bucks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zslayer said:

This might not be the case everywhere but from what I can see in most of southern Az. because of the decent winter precip we had last year, mesquite’s, oaks, manzanita and other non annual plants didn’t miss a beat. In the last month my wife and I’ve noticed mesquite putting on their 3rd set of beans. Not sure if I’ve seen that but probably because of the heat we’ve had later than normal. Grasses have definitely suffered because of the poor summer rains. If they’re wrong about this winter and it’s a dry one, next spring and early summer will suck

Hopefully the hold over feed and water still have the deer in good shape.   But we better get some winter rain!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Driest year in decades.

Can’t be worse than 2020??

• Like 3

A lot more road hunters on SxS on my muzzleloader hunt this year including a group firing off shots way longer than they had any business shooting and admitting to wounding quite a few deer.

Hot n dry where I'm hunting but that's pretty much the norm for the Oct hunt. What I've noticed though is the lack of grass. I've been hunting this area for about 15 years now and I don't think I can remember a year with as bad grass growth as this year. Hunts been ok but antler growth looks to be below average where I'm at but I haven't seen enough bucks to know for sure. These are two of the 3 biggest we've seen so far. Found them this morning. They we're bedded by 8:30 and didn't get up until sundown.

• Like 4