Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Abundance of quail

Got out late this morning, loaded my first 3 shells at 7:50 and shot my 15th bird by 9:56. Not huge numbers in any particular covey but a ton of smaller coveys (8-12) birds. When I got done cleaning by 10:30 they were still talking up a storm all around me.

An abundance of birds out here!!!  

IMG_4134.jpeg

• Like 13

We put a few down today, the gambels were actually holding alot better. They were all pretty darn full of these little seed by 10am. 

20231104_105006.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vowell said:

We put a few down today, the gambels were actually holding alot better. They were all pretty darn full of these little seed by 10am. 

20231104_105006.jpg

Mine too, but half had a ton of chewed up prickly “super lime green” pear cactus in their gullet as well as the round orange-reddish berry looking fruit.

• Like 1

Its amazing of all the stuff they eat. Prickly pear slime would have been cool to see.

Went back out today and got 5 more quail. Still tons of birds just terrible shooting today 😂😂🤣😅.

I also posted a pic of the prickly pear slime they were munching on.

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

• Like 6

Took my son and 4 other guys out quail hunting, nice cool weather made it real nice.

I knocked down 8, my son got 5 and the other guys only got 2 between the 4 of them. I think the storm the day before had an effect on them, but we still got on them.

Good times!!!!!!

• Like 2

Ive seen a LOT of birds while scouting for my sheep hunt 

I’ve had multiple coveys walk right up on me while glassing. 

• Like 1

Ill be out tommow scouting, going to throw the shot gun in just in case i find some. Always a bonus to shoot a few birds.

Best year I've personally experienced.  Threw my 20 ga. In while scouting and deer hunting and got plenty of action.  Birds were holding extremely tight and they were literally everywhere.  

• Like 1

Little breezy first thing, but turned out to be a beautiful day to do some quail hunting. Knocked down 7.

also found some dormant honeycombs.

IMG_4558.jpeg

IMG_4559.jpeg

• Like 3

Went back out for an afternoon hunt and knocked down 10. Absolutely love hunting these birds.

IMG_4780.jpeg

• Like 5