Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Walked up on a lion yesterday

Ya Amanda that's awesome! Do the Indians trap a lot out there or what?

I don't know what level of trapping is going out there right now. Perhaps more now than before trapping was banned on public land. Tribal and non-tribal people can get trapping permits on San Carlos. Apparently lions aren't included as part of the trapping permit, but the guy can go buy a lion permit if he wants to keep a lion. Otherwise I guess he has to let it go.....wouldn't that be interesting to watch! Traps are required to be checked everyday.

Amanda

Ya Amanda that's awesome! Do the Indians trap a lot out there or what?

I don't know what level of trapping is going out there right now. Perhaps more now than before trapping was banned on public land. Tribal and non-tribal people can get trapping permits on San Carlos. Apparently lions aren't included as part of the trapping permit, but the guy can go buy a lion permit if he wants to keep a lion. Otherwise I guess he has to let it go.....wouldn't that be interesting to watch! Traps are required to be checked everyday.

Amanda

Id pay to see that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! Thats a crazy and rare experience right there! Gorgeous lion, thanks for the video and pics! JIM>

That kitty is SOL! Awesome footage Amanda :blink: !!!!, and a nice shot opportunity ;) . I woulda put it out of it's misery though. That would be the right thing to do , if it was me in that situation. Yeah, trapping and hunting are too different ball games. Dead kitty either way. I feel like i'm splitting hairs here but that's how I see it. No one ever said trapping was humane anyway. But it's our right and hope it stays that way.

My dad once called in a sherriff for a horse that broke it's leg in a cattle gaurd, very messy and loud.. The officer arrived, saw the doomed horse and left to find the owner. My dad left shortly after the cop with one less 44 mag round. end of story. end of suffering

When I arrowed a pig at 14 years old i gut shot it and it wasn't a quick kill shot. the pig went ten feet and laid down makeing an awfull racket. I finished him at 5 feet with a snubby 22. I'll never forget watching the life leave the body that close. But that's what needed to be done. end of story.end of suffering

My dad neck shot a mulie once, we got to the buck 4 hours later, he was paralized and couldn't move an inch. Except for his eyes. Old snubby 22 at 5 feet once again. end of story.end of suffering

A quick death is a humane one, but we all know this allready. Probably why they have the 24-48? hour rule. But that's a long, long, slow painfull death, for anything. Don't kid yourselves. Just my 2 cents on trapping ethics. Nothing against trappers, were all killers. I just prefer hunting. Call me soft but I don't have the heart to make animals suffer for 24-48 hours. What's you're opinion? I'm makeing a seperate topic for trapping & ethics.

Again, awesome encounter and footage! No lion tag?

I realy couldn't tell, maybe you could see it when you were there amanda, but it seems like its probable a cable snare, not one of those gator teeth traps. If so the lion is not in much pain if at all. more scared then anything. I don't think I could take a lion like that for sport but in a situation were its a problem animal I would do it. I also have no problem with other people doing it for sport. To each his own I guess. Thanks for sareing amanda.

That kitty is SOL! Awesome footage Amanda :blink: !!!!, and a nice shot opportunity ;) . I woulda put it out of it's misery though. That would be the right thing to do , if it was me in that situation. Yeah, trapping and hunting are too different ball games. Dead kitty either way. Ones just humane ussually, the other never is. I feel like i'm splitting hairs here but that's how I see it. No one ever said trapping was humane anyway. But it's our right and hope it stays that way.

My dad once called in a sherriff for a horse that broke it's leg in a cattle gaurd, very messy and loud.. The officer arrived, saw the doomed horse and left to find the owner. My dad left shortly after the cop with one less 44 mag round. end of story. end of suffering

When I arrowed a pig at 14 years old i gut shot it and it wasn't a quick kill shot. the pig went ten feet and laid down makeing an awfull racket. I finished him at 5 feet with a snubby 22. I'll never forget watching the life leave the body that close. But that's what needed to be done. end of story.end of suffering

My dad neck shot a mulie once, we got to the buck 4 hours later, he was paralized and couldn't move an inch. Except for his eyes. Old snubby 22 at 5 feet once again. end of story.end of suffering

A quick death is a humane one, but we all know this allready. Probably why they have the 24-48? hour rule. But that's a long, long, slow painfull death, for anything. Don't kid yourselves. Just my 2 cents on trapping ethics. Nothing against trappers, were all killers. I just prefer hunting. Call me soft but I don't have the heart to make animals suffer for 24-48 hours. What's you're opinion? I'm makeing a seperate topic for trapping & ethics.

Snares, conibers and drowning sets usually kill quickly.

That kitty is SOL! Awesome footage Amanda :blink: !!!!, and a nice shot opportunity ;) . I woulda put it out of it's misery though. That would be the right thing to do , if it was me in that situation. Yeah, trapping and hunting are too different ball games. Dead kitty either way. Ones just humane ussually, the other never is. I feel like i'm splitting hairs here but that's how I see it. No one ever said trapping was humane anyway. But it's our right and hope it stays that way.

Snares, conibers and drowning sets usually kill quickly.

I was unaware some traps could kill quickly. Thank's for the experties. I could see myself trapping, given that.

No, I didn't have a lion tag for San Carlos, but even if I had one I don't know if I have the right to shoot a lion in a trapper's trap. It's his catch not mine. The trap appeared to be a steel leg hold trap without jaws on the metal.

Amanda

Great footage Amanda! I was fortunate to have ran a trap line as a teenager and caught quite a few animals. Unfortunately a few "non-target" animals also. I never had a furbearer chew his leg off to try and get out, never even a toe. Most catches seemed to be more confused than anything.

While walking into one of my sets one afternoon I found My traps lying in the middle of the wash beside some bootprints. Further inspection of the trap site found lot's of big lion tracks and two empty shotgun shells. Years later while riding in a carpool to work at the Morenci mine one of the guys started telling a story about quail hunting with his dad and finding a big lion in a trap. I was able to finish the story for him. It's a small world. And it's illegal to disturb the trap site or catch of a licensed trapper in AZ.