Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Walked up on a lion yesterday

I was probably 20 yards or less from it. If I got closer it thrashed around and tried harder to get away. So I tried to get as close as I could without stressing it out too much so I could get some decent video and pics. For pics I really wish it would have let me get closer. For video it was ok. You can hear him/her breathing on the tape at times, so it's fairly close.

Amanda

I was probably 20 yards or less from it. If I got closer it thrashed around and tried harder to get away. So I tried to get as close as I could without stressing it out too much so I could get some decent video and pics. For pics I really wish it would have let me get closer. For video it was ok. You can hear him/her breathing on the tape at times, so it's fairly close.

Amanda

Is dinner served to you yet?

hope hubby can take his apron off by 7:00 Pm

Just kidding ;)

Very Cool to be within 20yds of a live lion.

Thanks for sharing with us.

You the WOman :rolleyes:

Good thing the lion raised a rucus-could have been an unpleasant meeting if the lion would have stayed still and you walked too close-Great picks Amanda.

Amanda

Is dinner served to you yet?

hope hubby can take his apron off by 7:00 Pm

Just kidding ;)

Very Cool to be within 20yds of a live lion.

Thanks for sharing with us.

You the WOman :rolleyes:

Hehehehe....the lion really wasn't intimidating at all. It was just scared and trying to move away. Not threatening at all. Even if it had pulled free it wouldn't have come at me.

Amanda

Guest 300ultramag.

sweet.. i just thought there were pics and I am just now seeing the video! nice job,. Im glad u took the time to film it off of your tripod it was very good quality... its crazy seeing that top predator so calm while in such a bad perdicament... I think a deer or anything of that nature would thrash itself till it died from exhaustion.

I met a trapper last year on the res near Ash Creek that told me he had a lion that kept breaking his traps. He was staying in Globe and then driving out each day to check his traps. You know that had to be a big lion. Great job on the video. David

I am from a trapping family. We haven't trapped since leghold traps were outlawed on public land. Odds are the lion has not been caught for very long. Almost always the lion will pull free or break the trap. They are too powerful for the trap. We have had traps broke quite a few times by lions. We have never walk up on a lion in a trap. I have a good friend that has trapped the San Carlos for a very long time. Except for this year as his knees just won't allow him to do it. He has never caught a lion as they have always pulled loose or broke the trap. That is a very unique experience indeed.

Ya Amanda that's awesome! Do the Indians trap a lot out there or what?