azelkhunter2

New hunting rig

40 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

My next step is to get a hauler set up so I don't have to put miles on the Runner. You like your trailer set up?

Love it.  Started with a 16’ 7500lb trailer.  Now I’m using a 20’ 12,000lb trailer with heavy duty equipment ramp on the back.  I basically treat the 4runner like a side by side.  Hauling it on the trailer allows me to keep the tire pressure down which makes a huge difference on the ride quality.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

The heater on late hunts, dust in the summer, and mud on the spring turkey hunts. 

7 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Carhartt, heavy gloves and beanie for the late hunts.

Face mask during the summer.

My Rzr has extended quarter panel/mud flaps. 

All worth it for the smooth and quick ride! Although the late hunts do get a touch chilly. 

I've had a 4Runner and Rzr. I'd have the 4Runner over a Rzr a hundred times over.  

• Like 1

I'm wanting to do the same thing but I want a ladder up top and grate like material on the surface up there so I can glass from the roof. Most of where I hunt that extra 6 feet or whatever opens up a lot of glassing area.  

Rzrs are awesome but I'd rather not freeze and blow brown boogers every few hours.  

29 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Seems you lose some of the advantage of using a regular SUV as your hunting rig when you trailer it like a side by side? 

Depends how you camp i would think.  Family hunts I'm towing a camper but if tent camping easy peasy.  But yeah, I wouldn't want to tow my hunting vehicle most of the time 

37 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm wanting to do the same thing but I want a ladder up top and grate like material on the surface up there so I can glass from the roof. Most of where I hunt that extra 6 feet or whatever opens up a lot of glassing area.  

Rzrs are awesome but I'd rather not freeze and blow brown boogers every few hours.  

My buddy took a 32 foot scissor lift on a flat bed trailer and hunted from it. He was hunting off of Freeman road near Oracle. He would raise and glass from it until he spotted something. It worked at least twice. He stuck a giant 5x5 and the next year a 4x4. When your down in the flats even a couple inches of height makes a big difference 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roofer Billy said:

My buddy took a 32 foot scissor lift on a flat bed trailer and hunted from it. He was hunting off of Freeman road near Oracle. He would raise and glass from it until he spotted something. It worked at least twice. He stuck a giant 5x5 and the next year a 4x4. When your down in the flats even a couple inches of height makes a big difference 

Ted Nugent style!

22 minutes ago, Roofer Billy said:

Saw something like that for sale on Craigslist years and years ago, never forgot it 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Seems you lose some of the advantage of using a regular SUV as your hunting rig when you trailer it like a side by side? 

What do you mean?

7 minutes ago, twigsnapper said:

What do you mean?

Seems like it would be really convenient to drive the rig to the mountain. Not have to use a trailer and a tow vehicle. To me, seems it defeats the purpose some. But that’s just me 

if you’re using it only as an off-road vehicle, how many miles are you really gonna put on it, plus it’s Toyota I thought that was the point of them

again I’m just thinking in my logic 

19 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Seems like it would be really convenient to drive the rig to the mountain. Not have to use a trailer and a tow vehicle. To me, seems it defeats the purpose some. But that’s just me 

if you’re using it only as an off-road vehicle, how many miles are you really gonna put on it, plus it’s Toyota I thought that was the point of them

again I’m just thinking in my logic 

Couple reasons.

my F250 drives way better down the highway and has 30 gallon fuel tank and gets better mileage pulling the trailer than the 4runner gets by itself.

the 4runner is great in the hills but with the lift, mud tires and low tire pressure it isn’t great on the highway.  It’s fine to about 50-60mph but anything above that and it just kinda works harder than it needs to.  Especially running north on i17

it only takes about 5 minutes to load and unload

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:22 PM, azelkhunter2 said:

It is a 4wd with the E LOCKER. Yes those are weld on RSG sliders. I spent months researching suspension parts…Bumpers…..Lights…ECT

Wish mine had the locker.  I actually have a locking rear axle beside my house, just haven't found a mechanic I trust enough to do the swap.  I’d like to get the locker rebuilt before I swap it out.