Sign in to follow this  
ultramag338

NM Coues

My oldest son drew his first deer tag and I was pumped it was in a unit that I've had great success in for coues. His tag was good for either coues or mule deer. His hunt was over Thanksgiving break so we had no worries about school. My dad and my 2nd oldest boy joined us on the trip. My dad left early the Friday before the opener to get camp setup and we left town soon after the boys got of school. A 4.5 hour drive later we arrived. I had a real hard time sleeping that night like a kid on Christmas eve. Opening morning found us overlooking a big bowl that I killed my buck in last year. Not even a rabbit was moving in there. The next few days were good with a few encounters here and there with really small bucks. It was a grind to find good bucks and I was starting to feel the pressure. Wednesday morning found us sitting a saddle that we could overlook a a tank that some good deer had been using. Around 10:30a a good buck was glassed up and it was on. We set up where the buck should come out about 100 yards out. Like planned the buck read the script and my boy punched him with a perfect shot. His first deer and his first coues. I was super pumped and we hugged high fived and rolled around. We got his buck taken care of and headed home with smiles. 20231122_101529.thumb.jpg.762099474c1f5513ffbe7a831c2a3abb.jpg20231122_101610.thumb.jpg.ee2bff2b91bdc55f56ddbd9f648f95f6.jpg

20231122_112318.jpg

• Like 18

Awesome story, passed on few that i am sure was hard for your son...then it all came together! 

Awesome comgrats

Congratulations on your son’s success! Nothing better than getting the boys together on a successful coues deer hunt. Great pictures too.