Cambow

7mm Rem Mag vs. 7mm PRC thoughts

I know this topic is getting beat to death lately... but I wanted to post my thoughts and get some opinions. I think I make sense, but there are way more knowledgeable shooters on this forum than me.

I think when you compare the two rifles in an off-the-shelf purchase situation, the 7 PRC definitely has a slight advantage in that it's potential has already been maxed out in terms of seating depth for longer, higher BC bullets. The factory set-up in a 7mm Rem Mag has some limitations and you do have to seat bullets way deeper and into the powder capacity area, along this the slower twist rate compared to the PRC.

But here are my thoughts... In a custom build rifle where you can choose the barrel, the twist rate and the throat length in the chamber... I feel like the 7mm Rem Mag has the advantage. I was getting really close to starting a custom 7PRC build and the more I researched the more I felt that in a custom rifle where you can maximize the COAL and extend the seating depth, I just don't feel like the PRC has any advantage at all. 

Am I crazy? With a 180gr Berger VLD, I get 2945 FPS out of my custom 284 Winchester and a 26" barrel. With my custom 7Mag, I am pushing to 3000 and I can't even seat as far out as I wish I could. I would like to push out to COAL of 3.600" and I am only able to get 3.400 in my rifle. I think if you build a rifle that allows for the max length... you would actually best the 7PRC. (Both of my loads are using 7828SSC powder). 

I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

7 PRC is just the latest of Hornady's cartridges that do nothing different than many others before it. They have perfected this practice and make millions of dollars every year on the latest greatest wonder cartridge they come up with. As you said in your post the 7 Mag is capable of doing some amazing things even at standard mag length and is a simple no muss no fuss performer. The seating depth thing is one of those things that solves a problem that doesn't necessarily exist. For example, the .260 Remington, 7 Mag, 300 Win mag have and will continue to shoot extremely well despite gun writers claiming they won't because the bullet seats too far in the case. Yes the bullet takes up powder space but so does making a shorter case i.e. the 6.5 Creedmoor or 7 PRC. 2800 fps is still 2800fps and if it shoots good it shoots good regardless of where bullet is seated. I have built a few 7PRCs now and a metric butt ton of Creedmoors and I haven't seen either one shoot smaller or out perform the others. The only thing that the 7 PRC has going for it, is that it eliminates the belt and factory rifles are coming with faster twist barrels. But that only matters if you plan on shooting the 195s. 180 and below a standard twist 7 mag will work just fine. The 7 PRC does absolutely nothing different or better than the 7 mag on paper or in the field. The Game will never know the difference. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your thoughts. I do love to push cartridges as far as possible from a performance standpoint, so I do like the idea of extending the seating depth if possible when doing a custom build. Your Hornady marketing hype comments make sense. I think the 7PRC is an awesome cartridge... but it's just not a 7Mag killer like all the hype says in my opinion. I don't love belted cases... but I have about 800 of them in 7Mag... so that's another reason I keep shooting it!

Quote "The game will never know the difference" Exactly! For hunting, what can the 7PRC do that the 7MM REM MAG can't? But to each it's own :)

• Like 1

And if nobody tried to improve on rounds we would all still be shooting 30-40 Krags, the 220 Russian would have disappeared into obscurity and Parker Ackley would have probably ended up selling farm equipment.

Men who have chased accuracy and performance with existing cartridges soon discover bullet design can be improved for a specific purpose and go down the rabbit hole and before you know it a new powder comes about, maybe even a primer. It'll never end, do we really want it too? I guess it's more fun to scoff about it than try to understand the whole concept.

14 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

28 nosler. 

180 hybrid at 3200. 

Is the 28 Nosler recoil as bad as they say?

On 12/27/2023 at 5:46 PM, PRDATR said:

And if nobody tried to improve on rounds we would all still be shooting 30-40 Krags, the 220 Russian would have disappeared into obscurity and Parker Ackley would have probably ended up selling farm equipment.

Men who have chased accuracy and performance with existing cartridges soon discover bullet design can be improved for a specific purpose and go down the rabbit hole and before you know it a new powder comes about, maybe even a primer. It'll never end, do we really want it too? I guess it's more fun to scoff about it than try to understand the whole concept.

My intent was not to 'scoff'... I am simply stating my opinion that a custom build in 7Mag is a real performer. The scoffing as I see it is coming from all of the people out there throwing shade on great cartridges like the 7Mag, 300WM, etc. Sure... the new stuff is an improvement mostly because of the rifles with higher twist rates and longer throats. It's not just about the cartridge. Didn't mean to rattle anyone's cage... I have been reading a lot about this particular comparison and wanted see see other thoughts on the subject. I am all for improving cartridges... don't even get me started on how much I love the 22 Creedmoor's potential. :) 

How many people do custom builds though? Off the shelf you're not getting ideal twist rates for heavier bullets with 7RM like you would with 7PRC.

55 minutes ago, dsotm said:

How many people do custom builds though? Off the shelf you're not getting ideal twist rates for heavier bullets with 7RM like you would with 7PRC.

If talking factory rifles,  the Browning HCLR 7mag has a 1:8 twist so can shoot all the heavier bullets the prc can.  There's one in classifieds at a great price.

If you travel with the 7PRC try finding a box of that ammo on the shelf. The old 7RM is even found on the shelfs of old country stores! My 7's are all customs, 280AI, 284 Shehane, and 7 Dakota improved. Each has a designated purpose.

I shot out the barrel in my old 7mag about the time 7prc was introduced.  Decided to go 7prc for the replacement.   I did it myself with a proof barrel on a Tikka action.  Love my rifle and the fact I was able to do it myself.  The 24" 7prc shoots 175eldx at same speeds my 26" 7mag shot 162eldx.   The 7mag had a 9.5 twist so I never shot anything heavier than 168.  This 175grn/162grn comparison is the closest apples to apples info I can give based on my results so far.  Haven't done any heavier bullets yet but I'm sure the results would be the same in comparison to a 7mag with 8 twist.  If my 7mag was still going strong,  I would have been very happy to keep shooting it and spend all this prc cash on some new optics!!

In the end I think 7prc is definitely here to stay, but 7mag will never die!  

And......if you decide to go with 7mag,  I have a set of Redding Premium 7Mag dies I'll sell you at a great price 😁

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

If you travel with the 7PRC try finding a box of that ammo on the shelf. The old 7RM is even found on the shelfs of old country stores! My 7's are all customs, 280AI, 284 Shehane, and 7 Dakota improved. Each has a designated purpose.

Nice to see another 7mm junkie on here. I just love them all!

1 hour ago, dsotm said:

100% agree that an off-the-shelf 7PRC is an awesome rifle. Don't get me wrong... if I were starting over right now and didn't have a ton of 7Mag brass... I would go with the PRC. In my initial post, I just wanted to give credit to the 7Mag in a rifle with the higher twist rate... Whether custom or factory... They rock! Especially if they have a little throat to them!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cambow said:

Is the 28 Nosler recoil as bad as they say?

My ex- wife preferred my 28 with a brake over my .257 wby.

• Like 1